Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > anyone have a source for bulk US-05?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default anyone have a source for bulk US-05?

I would like to get the price down to at least $2.00 a pack including shipping. A seller on Ebay offers it for 2.50, I was just wondering if I could get it lower buying a dozen packs or so

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Have you looked into yeast washing? If you're re-using yeast, you are effectively greatly lowering your yeast cost.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 05-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
NickN72
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a place locally where untill about a month ago I was buying 05 for $2 a pack, now they doubled it.....

Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I would like to get the price down to at least $2.00 a pack including shipping. A seller on Ebay offers it for 2.50, I was just wondering if I could get it lower buying a dozen packs or so
I would really start yeast washing...you could take one yeast packet, and thru the process of washing and reusing could get over 20 brews.
Great video on how to do it:
http://billybrew.com/yeast-washing
After you do this a few times and get a better understanding of yeast washing, this will be a great reference for you:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

Old 05-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
bottlebomber
Recipes 

I do want to get into yeast washing, and plan to give it a shot for the first time when the two carboys im using now are empty. Is it possible/practical to divide the washed yeast into "doses" using baby foor jars or something, or would you just salvage a whole jar and use it as needed?

Old 05-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN72
I had a place locally where untill about a month ago I was buying 05 for $2 a pack, now they doubled it.....
Bummer..

Old 05-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The only ways to push the costs down are by yeast washing or by buying the yeast in a 500g bulk pack and re-packaging it under sterile lab conditions into individual vacuum-sealed or inert-gas filled satchels. Considering that doing that is a pain and most people don't have access to sterile equipment to do that, you're probably stuck with buying it a la carte.

Nottingham and Coopers yeasts are much cheaper, but the quality is also a bit more questionable.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 05-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I do want to get into yeast washing, and plan to give it a shot for the first time when the two carboys im using now are empty. Is it possible/practical to divide the washed yeast into "doses" using baby foor jars or something, or would you just salvage a whole jar and use it as needed?
When you pitch the accurate amount of yeast and then wash it, you should have enough yeast for 2 batches...the reason being that yeast multiply. In the video, the guy divided it in to four small jars...in which he would probably need two of those for a 5 gallon batch. So to answer your question, Yes you could divide it in to any size container you choose to, just make sure you pitch the right amount in to your next beer....I would recommend using http://www.mrmalty.com/ to determine how much yeast you should pitch every time you brew (even is you use dry yeast).

Old 05-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

Yeah, between making starters and reusing the yeast you can make plenty of beer. If money is the issue this the way to go. If time is the issue, buy the yeast.

Wahoo Hunter

Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy
Yeah, between making starters and reusing the yeast you can make plenty of beer. If money is the issue this the way to go. If time is the issue, buy the yeast.
The issue isn't really time or money, but convenience. I just want to be able to have an ample supply of long lasting yeast for those occasion where you need a lot, I.e. a huge barleywine. Although filling the cheese drawer with $7 white labs vials isn't really an option either

Quick Reply