Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone have the "BREWfractometer"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
cbzdel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Anyone have the "BREWfractometer"

I currently have a all BRIX refractometer, I dont like converting it, its to much hassle, so I have been looking into another one...

Looks like my options are limited to the cheap one that gets incorrect as the gractiry goes up because it the conversion was calced wrong.. OR.. I can get the "BREWfractometer".. Its a bit more pricey but if it works I think it would be worth it, plus I could re-sell my brix one to help reduce to the cost..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What do you need to convert ? Just use brix for all your measurements and recipies. I used to do the same thing with metric, you get used to it eventually. It's just a new thing to learn

Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The problem is that refractometers were designed for simple sugars. The complex sugars in wort make them inaccurate. That is, the brix reading is incorrect.

I think the error is estimated at about 4%. However, it depends on the wort. A heavy wort with lots of complex sugars will make it even more inaccurate, and a highly fermentable wort will have less error.

Because all worts are have different mixes of sugar, you cannot get one that will give an accurate measurement in beer wort. They may (or may not) make one with the 4% factored in, however due to the different make up of every wort, it will still be slightly inaccurate.

It is quick and easy tool to get a close estimate of OG. Just keep a copy of the conversion chart handy. For measuring (and of course calculating), gravity of fermented wort, I don't trust it at all and will always use an hydrometer ........ I can drink the sample too!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

All refracts are off to some point. I have one that is Brix on the left and SG on the right. I love mine but I am a "close enough" style home brewer. Most of the time I am lucky if I get an OG and I seldom take a FG unless it tastes wrong.

Quick Reply