Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone go from kegging back to bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #51
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 292 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

IMO the perfect homebrew setup is 100 bottles for beers to want to age, 5+ kegs for your quick drinkers, and a bottling adapter for your keg faucet so you can make growler pours or do bottle fills for competitions.

Kegging is so far from being a PITA I can't comprehend this problem.

-Retired Homebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #52
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
IMO the perfect homebrew setup is 100 bottles for beers to want to age, 5+ kegs for your quick drinkers, and a bottling adapter for your keg faucet so you can make growler pours or do bottle fills for competitions.

Kegging is so far from being a PITA I can't comprehend this problem.
Not sure if, or how many, bottles I'll fill of my bigger brews now. With having the basement as cool as it is, they're pretty much at serving temp there. I might just fab up a box to hold them and put some taps onto. Maybe see if I can locate a HVAC guy to make me something to chill them down a little during the summer/warmer months (when the basement might hit the low 60's)... Or I'll just use ice packs during those months.

I'm looking to get rid of 1-1/2 cases of long necks (well, mostly long necks one 6 pack has slightly shorter bottles)... I'm looking at keeping another case of them and the three cases of swing-top bottles, plus my Belgian bottles (750ml and 375ml)... Might sell off some of the 375ml Belgian bottles soon though.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #53
BreezyBrew
Fully Fermented.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I could put labels onto beers I bottle from keg/tap if I wanted to. I have the software and such, so it's not all that difficult. Just a matter of usually bottling from keg/tap on the quick, so I don't have the time to create the labels, print, trim, glue, etc. I do use an Epson label maker on them though, when bringing more than one kind someplace.

IMO, not giving up is the key. Tweak the system until it works for you. You might need longer beer lines, different presser sets, etc. I refuse to give up on it that easily. I also like how if the carbonation level isn't where you want it to be (either high or low) you can actually DO something about it with kegs. With bottles, you're pretty much F'd if it's over carbonated. Plus waiting an extended period for higher ABV beers to carbonate can such. With kegging, the most it should take is 3-4 weeks at serving pressure for the temperature. Not the months upon months it can take in bottles.
I agree with all of this. Every system is different. And for what it's worth, I've heard people say their "usual pressure" is anywhere from 6 to 12 psi. That's a lot of tinkering.

- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- "Take your own experience as the gospel" -Denny

Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #54
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyBrew View Post
I agree with all of this. Every system is different. And for what it's worth, I've heard people say their "usual pressure" is anywhere from 6 to 12 psi. That's a lot of tinkering.
Only tinkering when you're setting up, really. I have my CO2 tank outside the fridge, so checking/adjusting is pretty damned easy. I'm also not above adjusting the pressure above/below the chart to get what I want. IME, those numbers are a good starting point. But, as mentioned, you need to tweak it to match your system.

I need to take another picture, but you can see [part of] the [dual body] regulator on the right edge of the picture. My 20# CO2 tank is connected to that. I've also added a KC sticker to the freezer section door.

Manly tap handles :

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #55
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I think people tinker too much. Start with reasonable pressures, long lines, and set/forget. Walk away for two weeks, and 90% of the time everything is fine. Obviously do due diligence leak checking first.

If you start rushing things, eventually you'll find a method that works, but you've got to be willing to sacrifice that time and beer.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #56
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So I'm going to pick up this kegerator today. Any suggestions on the regulator? It needs to pressure two kegs. Is there anything I need to be looking for?

Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #57
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82
So I'm going to pick up this kegerator today. Any suggestions on the regulator? It needs to pressure two kegs. Is there anything I need to be looking for?
Are you wanting the kegs at two different pressures?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #58
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryush806 View Post
Are you wanting the kegs at two different pressures?
I think I'd like that option.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #59
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've seen secondary pressure regulators for pretty cheap. The primary regulator steps down the CO2 bottle pressure down to 20 or so, and then a bunch of low pressure secondary regulators are used. I saw a pic once on here with about 10 of these low pressure regulators in parallel, to get 10 different pressures. Seems overkill to me...

Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #60
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
I've got this one.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/d...regulator.html
Im happy with it although Im sure you could fine one for a few bucks less if you looked around.
Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Quick Reply