Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone go from kegging back to bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I do both kegging and bottling and probably won't change. I like to age some beers longer in bottles and only pull out 1-2 at a time. I also like to have bottles to take some to friends and parties and have a selection. Easier to refrigerate a bunch of bottles than a bunch of kegs, but one keg sits in my beer fridge most of the time. Usually session beers in kegs. I frequently do a 3gallon keg and the rest in bottles from a batch to have both options. Easy to bottle from the keg if you want, particularly if you use a 2L pop bottle and prime or use the bottle up quickly after tapping. Kegging is incredibly simple and easy to do, including managing pressure and sanitizing. If you get a chance, buy his set up at a family discount price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
neophilus
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I don't get all the bottle hate. It's about an hour or so extra work per batch. The beer keeps for a long time so it's easy to stack and store cases in the basement. I do a lot of Belgians and they improve with 6+ months conditioning in the bottle. In my beer fridge I have 8 different types of beers from various batches so there is a lot of variety vs the 2 kegs in a kegerator that could take me literally months to kick because I don't have beer drinking visitors often.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I just switched to kegging about 5 batches ago. Its so much easier and faster than bottling. I plan on bottling a RIS that I'm planning brewing soon but only because it can benefit from a year or so of aging and I don't want to give up a keg for that long. If I want to take a few beers to a friend or party I just fill up a growler or a six pack with my little homemade "beer gun". No problem at all. Or I just bring my kegs with me like I'm doing for New Years

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
Butchv12
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Switching from Kegging to bottles ----- Good One!!!!!

I probably bottle one out of 10, but only Porters and other heavy beers. IPA'S - California Commons, ect all get kegged.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started brewing 12 gallon batches. I keg 10 gallons and bottle the rest. Actually, I have my kids bottle the rest. I like having a 12pack or so kicking around to be able to give away, etc.

I was strictly kegging for a while though, so I guess you could say there was some semblance of "regression".

Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #26
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophilus View Post
I don't get all the bottle hate. It's about an hour or so extra work per batch. The beer keeps for a long time so it's easy to stack and store cases in the basement. I do a lot of Belgians and they improve with 6+ months conditioning in the bottle. In my beer fridge I have 8 different types of beers from various batches so there is a lot of variety vs the 2 kegs in a kegerator that could take me literally months to kick because I don't have beer drinking visitors often.
Shhh, they'll know we're here and attack....

BOTTLE CONDITIONING RULES!

Whoops, now I'm really going to hear about how stupid I am.

Brew as I say, not as I brew.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
Party faucet and about 12" of a racking cane = beer gun. Shove the racking cane tube in the faucet. Purge your keg and reset the pressure to about 4-5psi. Fill bottles or growlers. Done.
You're underestimating how exceptionally lazy I am. It is a thing to behold.

The only reason why bottling is still charming is that the wife does half the work.
Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 349

If I wasn't kegging I don't think I would be brewing anymore.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 277

I bottle and keg. I have about 8-10 kegs I can use. I always keg lagers for simplicity and not having to deal with putting a couple cases of bottles in a fridge. I usually bottle beer that I am going to let sit. Although, sometimes I will keg very high gravity beers to ensure carbonation - sometimes I have had problems with bottle conditioning high gravity beers.

A couple things I have changed though - I went to putting the cheap picnic cobra taps back on all my kegs. I got tire of dealing with the tappers, lines, etc. It is super easy to pop off the the beer line and throw it in with something else I am sanitizing. Not a big deal to open the fridge to pour a beer, and if I have people over, I am filling pitchers anyway.
Also - I have bought several 3 gallon kegs - I really like this as it allows me to bottle some of a batch and keg it. A 3 gallon keg eats up most of the batch, and you only nee a half dozen 22 ouncers and some regular bottles for the rest. I do like having bottles because once they are filled - they are done. Filling bottles from keg is fine, and I do it, but it is some work too.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
Never!! Carbonation levels, Storing kegs?? Huh, I don't see what's to hard..Bottling is what's a pain..I only bottle Apfelwein, but that's about it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17 View Post
If I wasn't kegging I don't think I would be brewing anymore.
Yep, I totally agree. If I was bottling every batch, I would have quit years ago. I don't bottle beer at all anymore, except maybe once a year when I bottle from the keg to take a variety of beers to Texas with me. ( I do bottle all of my wine, and have about 350 bottles in my wine cellar!)

Otherwise, I just fill growlers when I want to take beer somewhere.

Here's my kegging routine:

Rack beer to keg.
Put in kegerator.
Put on the gas line
Put on the faucet line.
Come back in a week.

There isn't any "carbonation level", lines to clean or sanitize (at least, certainly not very often!), or anything to worry about. Seriously. Fill keg. Put in kegerator. Drink. When empty, take out of kegerator.

There is NO way I'd ever go back to bottling. If I couldn't keg anymore, I would quit brewing.
BBL_Brewer Likes This 

Quick Reply