Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone go from kegging back to bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Spintab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
After kegging, I find bottling somewhat charming. Also, I can actually share our beer without having someone over which is pretty nice for casual friends and acquaintances.

I suppose if I had a beer gun, it might be less charming, but everything I've seen of bottling from a keg seems to be more hassle then bottling from the start.
Party faucet and about 12" of a racking cane = beer gun. Shove the racking cane tube in the faucet. Purge your keg and reset the pressure to about 4-5psi. Fill bottles or growlers. Done.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Maybe when he was kegging, his beer was going to fast? I started kegging and now all of my beer is cold all the time. I tell my friends to help themselves and they do. When I bottled, I would only have so many bottles cold at a time so that was all the beer being drank that night. Now ALL my beer is cold ALL the time!
This is the only reason I could see bottling beer, kegged beer tends to disappear quickly because there is no way to see how much is inside, before you know it it's gone....

Old 12-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2906 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 5601

I keg & bottle. I usually keg only session brews (but not always) and bottle high OG brews (but not always). I've bottled from the keg. not too much of a PITA.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
Channel 5 news is reporting g I'm smacked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1647 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
After kegging, I find bottling somewhat charming. Also, I can actually share our beer without having someone over which is pretty nice for casual friends and acquaintances.

I suppose if I had a beer gun, it might be less charming, but everything I've seen of bottling from a keg seems to be more hassle then bottling from the start.
Easiest bottling EVER..

Prime with sugar using KEG as bottling bucket.

Fill bottles from the picnic tap.

SOOO easy. even if I went back to 100% bottled, I would keep one keg and C02 for bottling.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
Party faucet and about 12" of a racking cane = beer gun. Shove the racking cane tube in the faucet. Purge your keg and reset the pressure to about 4-5psi. Fill bottles or growlers. Done.
I do this, except minus the change in pressure... I leave my pressure set as-is, and I bottle (or fill growlers) quite often. Whenever I want to bring a bomber to the brew club meeting, just hook up this setup and I'm set. Whenever I want to give a couple beers to a friend, I'm set. When I get to the last couple gallons of a keg that I just want to turn around so I can move on, I use this set-up, bottle up a sixer or twelver or whatever, and I'm done.

As to the OP's uncle, unless he's getting WAY into setting his pressures specific to each beer, or he's quick carbing every keg before setting them back to serving pressure, or he's just doing something else funny, I don't get the fuss over dealing with pressures. My regulator is set to 11 or 12psi, period. It just doesn't change (even when using the party faucet beer gun), so there's really not that much to do. And from the couple of batches I have bottled, I can definitely say that there's a whole lot less work involved in breaking down and cleaning my Perlicks and my beer lines than there is in cleaning and sanitizing a couple cases of bottles... I'll bottle a run once in a blue moon, but I won't give up my kegging setup!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

is he also going from broadband back to dial up?

While I understand wanting to bottle for a specific beer I cant imagine going back to bottles exclusively.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 12-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
That is effing bizarre......where is he? make an offer for me?

If you want a deal on equipment, buy his. If you want to help, introduce him to no rinse sanitizer.

I finish one batch. rinse yeast out of the bottom. Dump in 1 gallon of no rinse. shake it up. pressurize it and blow the sanitizer out of the tap (in other words SANITIZING THE LINES) dump the new uncarbed beer into the now empty sanitized keg.

Once a year I may take everything apart and really clean it, but I might not.

He is missing some key info.

Bottling a few from the keg is as close as I will EVER get to bottling again.
QFT

Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
Frogmanx82
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, I see no one jumping up to say they went from kegging back to bottles. I did think it was kind of unique. He's outside Charlotte. I'll see if he's putting it on Craig's list or what his plan is. I really don't care to get into kegging.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #19
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I regress back to bottling all the time, only now I bottle from the tap

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I bottle either from tap or keg, but I don't prime in a bucket and fill bottles... I have the system you jam up into the end of the Perlick 525/575 as well as a Beer Gun. Used my Beer Gun to bottle some of my old ale to take over on xmas eve. Also used it to bottle up my batch of maple mead/wine...

I just use the 2+ week set and forget method of carbonating in keg. No additional adjusting needed. If he's burst carbonating, venting, setting a lower pressure, etc. I can see why he's going away from it. But, IMO, that's 100% user error, NOT systemic of kegging. Simply put, he's kegging stupid.

Also, for cleaning the lines and such, I do it at the same time that I rinse, clean, and sanitize the keg that just came off the line. Makes it really easy to do.

Seriously, kegging can be as easy, or as complicated, as you want it to be. I would grab his gear for as low an amount as you can. Then look up how to do it right and make him regret getting rid of it all.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply