Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone ever use antique bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
jarrid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone ever use antique bottles?

Back when I first started brewing, i had the idea to do this, so I went to a couple antique malls and collected some old glass soda bottles. It took a lot of elbow grease to get them clean enough to use, only a few of them were hopeless. But my friends all thought it was a nice touch. The only catch I ran into was that some of them had weakened rims. I don't think any broke while capping, but I had a couple crack part of the rim off when opening.

All in all, it worked out alright, and made a nice gimmick, plus I felt like I was recycling old materials and resurrecting a relic of the past. I had to leave them behind when I moved but would consider doing it again. Anyone else ever try it?

That reminds me, there are still some in my friend's basement with a 3+ year old hefeweizen in them. I bet it's pretty skunky.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I have tried to use them without any succses I thought about using champagne wire and cork to close them instead of the capper.
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply