Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone ever try a Saison?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Kugster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Anyone ever try a Saison?

I just had a Saison Dupont lst night for the first time and having a Hennepin today. These are Belgium Farmhouse ales. This is some good stuff! Nice golden color with a nice fruity/spicey flavor...even bottle conditioned! So I think I am going to save the yeast and try to make something similar. Pretty strong stuff too...7%

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Secondary 1....Blackeye IIPA
Secondary 2........Mikita's BB Wheat
Conditioning.....
Tap 1.............Spooky's Stout
Tap 2.............Rico's Red

DogBone Brewery

If you get confused listen to the music play! - Robert Hunter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Stevorino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup -- I enjoy them a lot. SWMBO wants me to brew some-- but the fermentation temp is so high that I can't do it with my current setup.

-Stevorino-_________________________________________
In Keezer:
1. BCS - Wet Hopped West Coast Blaster
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like them, but wait for the summer time so I can ferment them in the 80s.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Endovelico
Recipes 

Never had one, i think i saw a 31 monts in my homebrewery store, which i think is a saison.
I'll probably try to make a saison during the summer when the temperatures get too high for my Temperature controll system - blowing air into the fermenter - to work.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Kugster

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I like them, but wait for the summer time so I can ferment them in the 80s.
Did not know these had a high ferment temp?? Actually my 365 beer a day calander has a recipe for one but it does not say anything about temps...I just double checked and it says pitch at 80* and ferment 70-75*. I'll have to look into this and brew one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevorino View Post
Yup -- I enjoy them a lot. SWMBO wants me to brew some-- but the fermentation temp is so high that I can't do it with my current setup.
Yeah...SWMBO actually liked this one too...and she is a BMC drinker Might be able to sway her more to my side!!!

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Secondary 1....Blackeye IIPA
Secondary 2........Mikita's BB Wheat
Conditioning.....
Tap 1.............Spooky's Stout
Tap 2.............Rico's Red

DogBone Brewery

If you get confused listen to the music play! - Robert Hunter

Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugster View Post
Did not know these had a high ferment temp?? Actually my 365 beer a day calander has a recipe for one but it does not say anything about temps...I just double checked and it says pitch at 80* and ferment 70-75*. I'll have to look into this and brew one.
I just bought all the materials I need to brew this bad boy. It seems like a great recipe so I am really stoked to brew it! I actually just posted a thread about it here

Since I live in Massachusetts and like to keep the thermostat down in the winter (~63-65) I plan on waiting a few more weeks before I brew it, but when I do brew it I'll wrap the fermenter in some old shirts and towels then place the whole apparatus in a small cabinet where between keeping the fermenter wrapped and then this door closed will prevent much in terms of temperature fluctuations and keep it within that 70-75 temp range...if anything I think itll end up with a cleaner finish and maybe just take a little longer to brew

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
CiscoKid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugster View Post
I just had a Saison Dupont lst night for the first time and having a Hennepin today.
Both excellent beers. Back in 2001, some friends and I visited the Dupont brewery. We left Brussels after an early breakfast, and I seem to recall it was like 9am when we reached the brewery. There was a little pub across the street from the brewery - and I mean, little like it could be someone's house. We started the morning with some Saisons. That's a quick start to your morning.

They don't really do tours at the brewery, but no one seemed to mind us walking around the place and through the buildings while they were working.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I suggest a run of the mill heating pad from CVS, et al, wrapped around the carboy and tied in place with string. This is how I keep things in check, especially in the winter when my brewhouse is a chilly 57f most of the time.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloHoppa View Post
I just bought all the materials I need to brew this bad boy. It seems like a great recipe so I am really stoked to brew it! I actually just posted a thread about it here

Since I live in Massachusetts and like to keep the thermostat down in the winter (~63-65) I plan on waiting a few more weeks before I brew it, but when I do brew it I'll wrap the fermenter in some old shirts and towels then place the whole apparatus in a small cabinet where between keeping the fermenter wrapped and then this door closed will prevent much in terms of temperature fluctuations and keep it within that 70-75 temp range...if anything I think itll end up with a cleaner finish and maybe just take a little longer to brew
70-75 will not create a saison. It could still be delicious but it not have the fruity sweet flavor and crisp mouthfeel of a saison. Ideally you need to get it up into the 80's - 82-84 (or even 86-88 for a DuPont clone) for the first five days of fermentation. Then a warm condition 72-74 for the remainder of primary and the you let the temp fall as much as you want.

Buy a heating pad or I use a submersible aquarium thermometer in a swamp cooler. I paid $25 delivered for my heater and it maintains temps to within a degree up to 88.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
BlackDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm a big fan of Saisons- I had a Avec Les Bon Voyeux from Brasserie Dupont on Friday night- it was like heaven in a glass. I also really like the Hennepin- there's a bottle in the cellar screaming my name, and today's 365 bottles of beer for the year calendar has a recipe that I'll surely be trying soon.

Quick Reply