Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone ever tasted Krausen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
r8rphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Anyone ever tasted Krausen?

I brewed a Batch of IPA this weekend, and tried a new bucket blow off method for it.. I pitched Saturday afternoon, and as of this morning, there was no gas pressure in the blow off tube, So I was going to pitch another packet of yeast, thinking that there was something wrong with the first packet..

When I pulled open an edge of the lid I saw that there was a good layer of Krausen on top.. meaning the yeast was okay but my blow off tube was leaking.. badly..

Seeing as the krausen had not risen all the way to the lid, I decided it was safe to just use a regular air lock.. So I sanitized another lid, stopper and airlock and installed them..

On the first lid there was some krausen on it.. I tasted some.. It was sour as hell... Now I don't know if krausen just tastes nasty or if my batch is infected, or if this was just old stuff that had spoiled from when I first shook the thing after brewing, and the bucket had not yet filled with C02...

My sanitation habits are pretty meticulous, so I'll be surprised if I have an infection.. but anything is possible.. Anyone have experience with this?

I rocked the thing back and forth on a couple occasions thinking the yeast was not taking off, with the idea of rousing it might help, now I'm hoping that I didn't wash some spoiled crap off the lid into the beer and infect everything..

Thoughts, stories, comments?
Thanks,

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if you have a big, healthy krausen going (which is sounds like you do), there probably aren't any other microbes doing anything significant in your beer. i wouldn't put much stock in how the krausen tastes, who knows what it's even made up of.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1949 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

I read a story once (germanbeerinstitute.com,I think),where it said the Germans make beer with the krausen skimmed off other beers. I don't think they said how,though?...

Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had some huge blowoff on my last one, so I gave it a taste. It was incredibly bitter. Couldn't get rid of the taste in my mouth for a couple of hours.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Well...being so bitter,I wonder if the Germans used it to not just ferment another brew,but flavor it as well? Like their version of an English bitter?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
ongreystreet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It should taste bad(to most people at least) and it is true that a lot of commercial breweries will skim the krausen off the top and remove it, you can also do this with your own brew, but it is usually not recommended due to sanitation.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8rphan View Post
I brewed a Batch of IPA this weekend, and tried a new bucket blow off method for it.. I pitched Saturday afternoon, and as of this morning, there was no gas pressure in the blow off tube, So I was going to pitch another packet of yeast, thinking that there was something wrong with the first packet..

When I pulled open an edge of the lid I saw that there was a good layer of Krausen on top.. meaning the yeast was okay but my blow off tube was leaking.. badly..

Seeing as the krausen had not risen all the way to the lid, I decided it was safe to just use a regular air lock.. So I sanitized another lid, stopper and airlock and installed them..

On the first lid there was some krausen on it.. I tasted some.. It was sour as hell... Now I don't know if krausen just tastes nasty or if my batch is infected, or if this was just old stuff that had spoiled from when I first shook the thing after brewing, and the bucket had not yet filled with C02...

My sanitation habits are pretty meticulous, so I'll be surprised if I have an infection.. but anything is possible.. Anyone have experience with this?

I rocked the thing back and forth on a couple occasions thinking the yeast was not taking off, with the idea of rousing it might help, now I'm hoping that I didn't wash some spoiled crap off the lid into the beer and infect everything..

Thoughts, stories, comments?
Thanks,
Traditional German Wheat Beers are made by skimming off the krausen intermittently to reduce bitterness. That being said, I think that Krausen should be very bitter, possibly sour tasting by another description; sounds like you're beer is fine man!

Time to have some fun

Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 369

only a raiders fan...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

^^^I remember seeing a pic of the skimming. But the gemanbeerinstitute.com lists a "Krausenbier" with the double dots above the "a". But the link is broken to the full description of the style.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #10
r8rphan
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
only a raiders fan...
People only attack that which they fear or are jealous of.. (or both)..

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Quick Reply