Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone been to Europe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Alembician
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone been to Europe? / European breweries

I'm studying in Germany starting next week, for 8 weeks and I need some tips on where to go (beer-wise). I want to hit every brewery that I can, or at least the best. If you've been or know of any great breweries, let me know. I have a train pass that gets me anywhere in Europe. We are planning excursions to The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Switzerland, & Austria. I'm going to school in Heidelberg though. So please suggest away. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone says.
Bobby

Last edited by Alembician; 05-25-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
The Drizzle

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm interested to hear as well, i'm making a kamikaze trip to germany on the 4th-8th of june. I got a 4 day german rail pass. Bamburg, Koln, and Munchen are the itinerary so far.

ugh

Old 05-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have been almost everywhere, but to answer your question could take me years to reply to.

I lived in Augsburg and Bamberg. Augsburg is 40 miles from Munich. Definitely hit the 6 breweries there as well as the Hofbrauhuas (just to say you've been there). There are 9 breweries in Bamberg. My favorites were Maisal and Fassla. There is another brewery, Special, right across the street from the Fassla, Greifenklau (Griffin's Claw) up the hill toward the castle.

Drive south 11 miles on the autobahn and get off at the Buttenheim exit. There you'll find St Georgenbrau and Lowenbau (great Kellerbier) breweries right next door to each other. As you are looking at the SG front door look left down the road about 150 mters and you'll find Levi Strauss' home. There are self-guided tours with earpieces. Both breweries also have beer gardens on the hill outside of town.

There's the Barstube in Nurnberg where the brewery is downstaris.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lucky! I love Heidelberg. Was there for a week a number of years ago. Off of the main drag where all of the artists and performers hang out at night there was a little alley. In that alley I noticed a sign with a mug and a picture of a stag on it. Curiosity got the best of myself and a friend so we ventured down the alley and into an alcove that opened into a small courtyard where we saw the sign again at the top of some stairs. Went in there and it was the coolest little pub ever! The tables were trees cut in half lenthwise to creat a picknic table looking thing and so were the benchs. There was this dude there playing a lute as well.

Very fun time in that town, and the college chicks>.......................good times

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I studied in Cologne(Koln) for a summer in college 3 years ago, and traveled every weekend. Cologne is a great city, obviously try the Kolsch. There's a great bar right by the Kolner Dom(cathedral) that's very traditional. Its on the main square, when you're facing the front of the cathedral its on your right. Many others though, and breweries. Cologne was the only place I visited actual breweries though. Dom Kolsch, and Gaffel Kolsch breweries and a couple others. Visit the cathedral as well, there's not that much tourist wise to Cologne so its not at the top of people's list of cities to visit in Germany, but: "Cologne Cathedral is the church with the largest facade (the west or main facade with the twin towers) and remains the second-tallest Gothic structure in the world; only the steeple of the Ulm Cathedral is higher." - wikipedia. Good Turkish food too, large minority in Cologne. That summer was one of the best times of my life. Belgium is great; Brussels, Bruges(really cool). Luxembourg is interesting, France, Switz, etc. are all great. No help on other breweries though. If this is your first time though, I hope you're planning on seeing other things besides breweries as well. My 2 cents.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Go to Belgium for sure.

I highly recommend:
Cantillon & DeDollebrouwers

And of course you have to track down the “best beer in the world”. You should be able to find it at some specialty shops like Beer Mania or just go right to the cafe:

For pubs:
If you get to Brussels you have to try the Delirium Café (pub).
If you get to Brugge you have to try the Beertje.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
...only the steeple of the Ulm Cathedral is higher...
I've been to the top there. Spectacular view. I was there during "Fischerstecken". It's a fest commemorating the battle between the people of Ulm and New (new) Ulm. They joust on the river trying to knock each other into the river from gondolas.

Bamberg has a similar fest at the end of August.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Wow, I was in a brew house in a city right near Heidelberg today. Check out my post in this forum. "Hands down, best hefe ever" I mention the city there.

Also, I recommend hitting up Amsterdam if you go to the netherlands. They have some amazing beer gardens and some excellent culture. Rent a bike and camp out at the place on the Eastern side, can't remember the name, but a great place. My wife and I are heading back there soon.

Switzerland, hit up Lake Lucerne. Not great beer there, but amazing place for camping and breathtaking scenery. Crystal clear lake and huge mountains surrounding. Excellent swimming.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I live in Europe!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
I live in Europe!
No you don't...you live in Great Britain...

Quick Reply