Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anybody successfully brewed blueberry beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
gannawdm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Anybody successfully brewed blueberry beer?

I plan on brewing a blueberry belgian wit. In a lot of the posts I've seen, many attempts at a blueberry beer result in a beer with little or no blueberry character.

Has anybody successfully achieved blueberry flavor using actual blueberries (not extract)? If so, please share your methods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The people I know who have been most successful have used Oregon Purees, either the more expensive stuff sold at homebrew stores OR the ones much cheaper at the grocery store in the pie aisle.

The difference between the two types is slight, but they both are 100% natural with no preservatives.

Some good info here;

http://www.leeners.com/beer-recipes-fruit.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I brew a blueberry porter a couple times a year. Actual frozen blueberries (from the store - not picked by me and then frozen), smashed as they thaw in the bag. Add to secondary and rack right on top of it. I do not pasteurize the berries at all.

And yes i get a decent flavor with a reddish tinge to the head. I think i use 6 lbs / 5 gallons. Ended up being fairly expensive, but my wife and I love it.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Last edited by brrman; 05-14-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
I brew a blueberry porter a couple times a year.
I believe he's asking for advice here. So you prolly are the best one to give it to him.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

lol - yeah I was on the phone when I 1-hand typed that first post...
I had to come back and elaborate.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
lol - yeah I was on the phone when I 1-hand typed that first post...
I had to come back and elaborate.
HAHAHA!!!!!

I actually thought maybe you gave the short answer and were writing up somethign more elaborate in another post.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed a blueberry oatmeal stout? Pretty good, I used real blueberries. I forgot the ratio I used but I only have a 6-pack left that I'm aging for a year lol.

Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
gannawdm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Details please. How did you process them (puree, crush, etc.)? Primary or secondary? How long? Any other considerations for obtaining that blueberry character?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I smashed them and then I strained the mash with a metal strainer to collect only the juice and leave the skins behind. I racked my oatmeal stout to the secondary and just added the juice to it for a week. I actually bottled the 3 gallons of my oatmeal stout and racked the other 2 gallons to 1-gallon glass carboys with blueberry juice. I left it for about 7-10 days because the blueberry added some extra sugars to the beer. I looked at my old notes and I ended up using 3lbs of blueberries for 2 gallons (or 1.5lbs per gallon). The taste definitely came out, but I may suggest only using 1lb for gallon if you only wanted a light blueberry taste. For a wit, I'd probably stick to 1-1.25lbs per gallon.

From an old post/notes when I made it:
"It's been a while and I ended up using 3lbs of frozen blueberries and smashing them into a pulp (literally). Put the mashed blueberry pulp-juice into two 1-gallon secondaries evenly and racked on top of them."

Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
sfrice80
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSteel View Post
Well, I smashed them and then I strained the mash with a metal strainer to collect only the juice and leave the skins behind. I racked my oatmeal stout to the secondary and just added the juice to it for a week. I actually bottled the 3 gallons of my oatmeal stout and racked the other 2 gallons to 1-gallon glass carboys with blueberry juice. I left it for about 7-10 days because the blueberry added some extra sugars to the beer. I looked at my old notes and I ended up using 3lbs of blueberries for 2 gallons (or 1.5lbs per gallon). The taste definitely came out, but I may suggest only using 1lb for gallon if you only wanted a light blueberry taste. For a wit, I'd probably stick to 1-1.25lbs per gallon.

From an old post/notes when I made it:
"It's been a while and I ended up using 3lbs of frozen blueberries and smashing them into a pulp (literally). Put the mashed blueberry pulp-juice into two 1-gallon secondaries evenly and racked on top of them."
So would you suggest racking a second time to more blueberry juice for optimal blueberry character? Sorry to somewhat highjack this thread but I'm literally going to be doing the same exact thing as the OP.

Quick Reply