Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anybody know a good bud light clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #51
maffewl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayIF1488 View Post
Thanks man I'll give this a try. Your 100% right. It truly would be a test of skill.
Sounds good man, there have been several other recipes posted that I believe I may try as well. I used Cascades because I wanted a hint of the spicy, grapefruit character they can impart... to make it closer to style, you may want to substitute Saaz and add maybe a hair more to keep the IBU's about the same. This recipe is on the upper range of the style.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #52
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Thanks man I'll give this a try. Your 100% right. It truly would be a test of skill.
Good man. Go for it! Just make sure to mash on the low end- around 150F, so that you have as many fermentables as possible, and your beer is on the dry side. Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #53
Daver77
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewtherooster View Post
1. Brew a pilsner.
2. Fill a glass halfway with water.
3. Fill the rest of the way with said pilsner.

Voila! A Bud Light clone.
I would laugh but I think your right!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #54
HolidayIF1488
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer

Good man. Go for it! Just make sure to mash on the low end- around 150F, so that you have as many fermentables as possible, and your beer is on the dry side. Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Thanks Bernie B. Headed to LHBS now.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #55
postalbunny
Recipes 

Watching an episode of "how beer saved the world" and you can clearly see in one shot of their brewery a pallet if Cascade hops. Hope that helps... At least one. If not all of the hops are cascade.

Based on IBUs, is say very little hops needed.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #56
bdjohns1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Not even comparable. Show me a home system where you can select your current brew on your laptop, and the grain starts moving from the silo...

I've had a few chances to look into the computer system at Deschutes, last night being the most recent. It's part of the scale of things. There are only a couple of valves the brewer has to open by hand, and they still have to do their kettle salt and hop additions when the computer tells them it's time.
I've been to New Glarus - their new brewhouse is pretty much fully automated.

If you didn't mind spending the money, there's no reason you couldn't put ridiculous levels of automation in at home. The PLC software that runs my plant is all Windows-based. I sit across the hall from the automation guy at my cheese plant, and he's shown that anything is possible with money and time. I could probably go to my company's idle assets warehouse and scrounge enough stuff to make a bonafide commercial micro-brewery, no problem. With a few silos or supersack of grain, rotary valves, some automated scales, and a pneumatic convey system, automated malt delivery to a mill and then into a mash tun would be easy compared to the stuff we do.

Good practices, good people, and good ingredients = good products. Add automation, and you've got good products in mass quantities - but only if you still use good practices, people, and ingredients. I'll put our regular cream cheese up against anyone's (and we routinely do in competition), even if we are churning out tens of tons every hour (a light day of production requires the milk from 10-20,000 cows). All of the milk is locally sourced, yada yada yada.

Even with all of the automation, the human touch is still in play. Automation just makes it easier. It's fine to dislike SABMiller, AB/Inbev, and the others because you don't like the beer they make, but just saying that bigger = badder is arrogant at best.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #57
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Just wanted to check in and see if you had a chance to brew this yet? I'm drinking mine right now and am excited to see how yours turns out.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #58
HolidayIF1488
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maffewl

Just wanted to check in and see if you had a chance to brew this yet? I'm drinking mine right now and am excited to see how yours turns out.
As a matter of fact I did. Only I used simcoe hops @30min instead of only cascade(I like cascade but I love simcoe) it was fantastic but I bottle as well as keg and the bottled just keep getting better. Cascade&Simcoe age very well in bottles. My friend really enjoyed it his words: ("this is way better than bud light! You made this? Really!? You gotta teach me!") so to answer you question yeah it was a hit. Of corse, I gave most of the credit to HBT.

Quick Reply