Anybody heard of something called "Apfelwein" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
Hehe, just kidding.

Seriously though, I'm new to this forum and I had never heard of Apfelwein before a few days ago. But after reading this forum it seems like everybody's got a batch fermenting in their basement, one in the trunk of their car, one at a friend's house, two under their bed, one in a tiny fermenter they keep in their pocket, and a batch actively fermenting in at least one body cavity.

Is it THAT good? I've never really like ciders all that much but I think I'm going to try a batch to see what all the hype is about!

I've read the information on the recipe page and much of the long Apfelwein thread, so no need to re-hash old material, but I'd be curious to hear specifically what makes this such a nectar-of-the-gods and how it's become such a staple around here.

chris.

It's a pleasant drink with a lot of kick and all the women love it. What's not to like? You can try it by investing a whole $2. Buy a half gallon of apple juice, pour out about a cup and drink that. Now put about 1/4 packet of Montrachet yeast in there and put an airlock on. Wait 6 weeks and bottle the stuff.

I've not been a big fan of ciders myself. Although not a woman myself, I absolutely cannot get enough of the Apfelwein in my keg fridge. Try it out! It really is that good.

My wife can't stand it straight but she likes it sweet. It reminds me of an old world "gamey" fruit flavor that you don't find much any more. I call it an evil apple flavor.

CallMeZoot said:
Hehe, just kidding.

Seriously though, I'm new to this forum and I had never heard of Apfelwein before a few days ago. But after reading this forum it seems like everybody's got a batch fermenting in their basement, one in the trunk of their car, one at a friend's house, two under their bed, one in a tiny fermenter they keep in their pocket, and a batch actively fermenting in at least one body cavity.

Is it THAT good? I've never really like ciders all that much but I think I'm going to try a batch to see what all the hype is about!

I've read the information on the recipe page and much of the long Apfelwein thread, so no need to re-hash old material, but I'd be curious to hear specifically what makes this such a nectar-of-the-gods and how it's become such a staple around here.

chris.

I gotta say, your post cracked me up. I damn near pi$$ed myself I was laughing so damned hard. You're gonna fit in well here.
Personally, I can't yet give an opinion on the Apfelwein. Mine won't be ready for a few weeks.:mug:

Bobby_M said:
It's a pleasant drink with a lot of kick and all the women love it. What's not to like? You can try it by investing a whole $2. Buy a half gallon of apple juice, pour out about a cup and drink that. Now put about 1/4 packet of Montrachet yeast in there and put an airlock on. Wait 6 weeks and bottle the stuff.

You need some sugar in there no?

AT LEAST one body cavity ;)

I tried some another brewer gave to me...stuff knocked me on my ass.

i haven't tried a batch myself, still saving up for my pocket fermenter :D

Since we're on Apfelwein. I had a quick question. Since its not a beer, are we okay to bottle in clear bottles? I've got these mexican beer bottles lying around that just lie around because they can't be used for anything useful, such as bottling beer.

I bottle mine uncarbed in wine bottles, Ive used green, brown, blue, and clear. They all taste the same. I dont keep them completely in the dark, but they arent in direct sunlight either. I would say they would be fine.

What about yeast alternatives? Only place I find with Montrachet would have me paying 7 bucks to ship 3 dollars worth of ****..

rdwj said:
Apfelwein? never heard of it. I'll have to google it some day
[ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=Apfelwein&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]http://www.google.com/search?q=Apfelwein&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a[/ame]

Number 2 on the hit list.

El_Borracho said:
What about yeast alternatives? Only place I find with Montrachet would have me paying 7 bucks to ship 3 dollars worth of ****..

I used Red Star champagne yeast for my first batch, and it was (is) delicious. If you can pick that up from you LHBS, you'll be set.

People have used many different yeasts, some of which require yeast nutrient. Skim the big Apfelwein thread, if you're interested.

Not a big fan.
Ofcourse I didn't make it exactly like Edwort's recipe so that might be part of the problem. :(
However I don't think I'm going to care for the original. I'm just not a fan of white wine, cider or blond beers. However at least a few of my friends and family have found it somewhat good. Tastes like champagne.
I think the big attraction to apfelwein is it is cheap, and very easy to make a decent (or good depending on tastes) fermented beverage. I put together my 6 gal batch for about $20 and it took about 15min most of that time sanitizing.
Craig

We really like the apfelwein arund here. SWMBO drinks the hell out of it, although she likes it a bit sweeter. I found a few bottles in the back of my closet a couple weeks ago from my first batch of apfelwein. They tasted soo good with a little aging!

With my last batch, I sweetened the whole thing in the bottling bucket with splenda. I thought I ruined it because it was way too sweet for me. But after a couple of months it has mellowed quite a bit. Tastes just like store bought now.

I have my third batch in the closet right now.

Whenever I bottle a batch, I just use they yeast cake to make another batch. I always have a batch in the fermenter.

:rockin:

I usually have a few batches going at any given time. Except for right now, which seems I have none going...

I have to correct that tonight.

I'm drinking a pint of my first batch right now and it is good. SWMBO also likes it, she puts some ginger ale in it.
I'm buying more juice on the way home tomorrow

The SWMBO loves it. I added a frozen concentrate to the keg and racked on top of it. Adds a little more apple flaver and the sweetness. This keg is going quick. I think i need to keep two batchs going. I would love to age this stuff a little longer but it just dont last very long around my place.

Apfelwien.....ahh, that's the stuff that I think got SWMBO interested in helping me brew....oh yeah, yup, that was the stuff!

I like it, and I hate most ciders...although I think it's the fact that I made it helps. I saw on amazon they have the pocket and dual body cavity fermentors on sale for $59.99, with free super saver shipping, I may have to pick those up sometime soon ;)

My 6 gallon Better Bottle is empty, I was holding out for wine (SWMBO and I are making some over Christmas break (and brewing our brains out)) but I think I'll just get another 6 gallon Better Bottle and get some more Apfelwein going....stuff takes forever, but it well worth the wait. I think in '08 I'll have no less than 2-3 batches going at a time, all staged a month apart or something like that.

It's so cheap and easy, everyone loves it...not to mention it's fun to drink right out of a champange bottle....which I'm getting about 15-20 more this upcoming week :D

I used body cavity fermentors a few years ago, but had trouble controlling the fermentation temperature. I tried the wet t-shirt method, but all I got was goosebumps and strange looks from passers-by. Now it's better bottles for me.

Gonna make some Apfelwein in January, I think. I've read way too much about it not to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back