Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > anybody have hop rhizomes for sale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
gremlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default anybody have hop rhizomes for sale?

i got me some xmas cash, and decided to buy hop rhizomes. every homebrew place is sold out! do you think anybody will have some for sale in the spring? does anybody here have a few they could part with?

i planted some seeds last spring and they grew really good, maybe i'll be able to harvest something next fall. but i have lots of fences and trellises, and want to increase my output. hopefully someday i'll get enough extra to sell some to ya'll. i'm going to build a pergola for my wife, which is just an excuse for another structure to grow hops on! but i need those rhizomes!

any help? and yes, i'm a hop head, and i'm dying to brew a highly hopped beer with hops i've grown. i'll take any variety at this point, i just want to get going.

barrett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin
i got me some xmas cash, and decided to buy hop rhizomes. every homebrew place is sold out! do you think anybody will have some for sale in the spring? does anybody here have a few they could part with?

i planted some seeds last spring and they grew really good, maybe i'll be able to harvest something next fall. but i have lots of fences and trellises, and want to increase my output. hopefully someday i'll get enough extra to sell some to ya'll. i'm going to build a pergola for my wife, which is just an excuse for another structure to grow hops on! but i need those rhizomes!

any help? and yes, i'm a hop head, and i'm dying to brew a highly hopped beer with hops i've grown. i'll take any variety at this point, i just want to get going.

barrett

http://freshops.com/rhizinfo.html
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Barrett,
You probably want to wait until Spring. In the meantime, buy an HBT membership and then give me a shout in March. I will hook you up with some Nugget rhizomes, no charge. HBT membership has its privileges.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Hop rhizomes are not available this time of year. If you tried to transplant them they would die. You'll be able to order in about two months.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm looking to plant some this spring. Any idea which one's would grow well in the Austin, Texas area?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

How damp are the summers there? Some hops have problems with root rot and mildew. Nuggett is tough, magnum isn't bad.

This is a listing of USDA named hops with the basic characteristics.
http://www.freshops.com/usda_hop_desc2.html

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply