Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anybody have chloramines in their water and not use campden tablets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
phenry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Anybody have chloramines in their water and not use campden tablets?

So in my quest to becoming a literate brewer, I kinda forgot to read about this part of off-flavors and water chemistry until now. So, the question is, if you can find a water report for your area that has chloramines, post the average measured ppm and if you take any measures to treat it.

It kinda sucks when you think you're doing everything right, until something comes and bites you in the a** like this. Oh well, the beers in the fermenter already, might as well RDWHAHB.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you don't HAVE to use campden tablets. you could just fill your kettle or HLT or whatever with water and let it sit uncovered overnight and the chlorine will evaporate out. or filter your water, or use RO.

I use campden tablets (1/2 per batch) because they require less planning ahead.

Last edited by thegerm; 06-28-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: I thought chloramine outgassed like chlorine, I was wrong. Oops.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

^^^ I heard it was chlorine that will evaporate off but not CHLORAMINE which is what the Campden tabs are for... Not 100 percent sure but I thought it was right... Either way like you, I just started trying them this batch after many without so I'll see how it turns out.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Not reading the rest of the thread, but my municipality uses chloramine for water treatment. I have ine of the plastic filter housings that holds a 10" x 2" filter cartrige. I buy carbon block filters at Sears for $6. My filter housing is fitted with garden hose connections on both sides, when not in use, I just put on hose caps and stick it in the fridge. I only change cartriges every 10 brew days. I have NO band aid taste or other off flavors.

Fat Toad Brewery

Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Our water in Denver averages out at 1.58 ppm chloramines, and I use Campden tablets. I didn't used to, and had a couple of bad run-ins with chlorophenols in beers, so now I always use them.

And chloramines will not evaporate out of water like chlorine, so they have to be treated for, either with Campden tablets, reverse osmosis, or using the correct activated carbon filters. If you decide to go the cartridge route, make sure you check that it clears chloramines well. Not all of them are effective for chloramines, and the ones that are have flow rate requirements (typically fairly slow) above which they're not effective at clearing chloramines any more.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Even if I filtered my water with a carbon system, I would probably still use campden just to make sure

Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegerm View Post
you don't HAVE to use campden tablets. you could just fill your kettle or HLT or whatever with water and let it sit uncovered overnight and the chloramine will evaporate out. or filter your water, or use RO.

I use campden tablets (1/2 per batch) because they require less planning ahead.
Incorrect, chloramine is used because of the fact that it is stable and does not come out of the water even by boiling, it has to be filtered or chemically removed.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowiefan View Post
Not reading the rest of the thread, but my municipality uses chloramine for water treatment. I have ine of the plastic filter housings that holds a 10" x 2" filter cartrige. I buy carbon block filters at Sears for $6. My filter housing is fitted with garden hose connections on both sides, when not in use, I just put on hose caps and stick it in the fridge. I only change cartriges every 10 brew days. I have NO band aid taste or other off flavors.
I use a similar 2" x 10" solid block carbon filter for my brewing water. The cartridge is supposed to be able to filter some 9,000 gallons between replacements. I replace the cartridge once every five years or so. I'm thinking you may be changing your out much too frequently. Not that there's anything wrong with that and the cost is low at $6, but my point is you could go much longer between change outs and your water will be just fine.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1946 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

I used an outside water for a recent brew and really noticed on off flavor. I just talked to a lady at our city office sand she said we have chloramines. So I guess I'm either going to start using spring water, or start ONLY using filtered water. I have a small carbon filter that I change once a year, but it's so cheap that I might do it every 6 months. It ONLY feeds our drinking faucet, so it's hardly ever used.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did a few batches without using the Metabisulfite (campden) and they had a noticeable off flavour that I narrowed down to the untreated water. I didn't realize they used Chloramines in my city water, but the same batch made with spring water convinced me that it's pretty important to get rid of it. I just use a knifetip of K-Meta in my 30L of brewing water, problem solved.

I looked at filters and such, and a 3$ bag of K-Meta was gonna last forever, and the Toronto tap water already tastes quite good so that's the route I took.

Quick Reply