Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anybody else brew beers you never really intend to drink?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
thisisbeer
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Anybody else brew beers you never really intend to drink?

I love to brew. Being outside on brew day is extremely relaxing and makes my days off work much more enjoyable. But I find I brew way more than I can drink alone. I have a couple of friends that enjoy some craft beer but none that prefer hop forward beer. Which is my favorite thing to drink. I have tried converting them, and have to some extent. But there tastes are there tastes. So I end up brewing a lot of blondes, wheat beers, shiner bock style beers, and things of that sort. I don't dislike these styles but my friend's tend to kill the kegs long before I get in the mood to drink one. But I enjoy when people like my beer. So I enjoy brewing it for them. It probably makes up 40% of all my brews. Does anybody else enjoy brewing for other people as much as for yourself?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i brew porters and stouts for my dad. i drink a few, but they are not my favorite of styles.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

My next brew day is for a wedding.

I have made a batch specifically for testing the effects of different yeasts at different temperatures. Because I wanted the yeast effects to shine, I made it pretty bland and not very hoppy. I've also made 1 gallon smash beers with vienna, munich, most of the pale malts, even smoked malt, just to see the effects of each base grain all by itself.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Got a Cream Ale that I’ve been brewing exclusively for a neighbor who mows my lawn and his wife. Wait . . . he doesn’t mow his wife, or does he?

Actually entered it into competition that’s being judged this weekend. Since it’s not a style I care for, figured it might be a good idea to see if I’m doing it right.

Billy-Klubb

Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yea I brewed a version of George Washington's small beer. Got 7 bottles, might drink 2.
I also make sure to always have some wheats on hand for the lady's in my life (wife/mother/mother in law/friends girls) I like them but prefer other styles

Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Daphne-weizen
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I brew pale ale for my husband. He loves it but its not my favorite style of beer. I like hefes the best, but I'm willing to try other styles that I think we'd both enjoy, like saison for instance.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Yup......Once heard of a commercial brewery that fermented beer with yeast isolated from the beard of the brewmaster.....aaaaannnndd in keeping with the spirit of being a mad scientist, I brewed and extra 3 gallons of wort for my bushwick lager, separated it and dropped a dozen or so of my own beard hairs in it. Sure enough it worked....produced a surprising lager that was not bad at all, definitely a sour beer......couldn't find anyone willing to drink it though so I dumped it.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I used to worry that I had to drink everything. Now I just shrug and keep brewing. I drink the best first and dump whatever goes stale. I don't know many people who like homebrew.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #9
peanasky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've got a family friend who LOVES craft beer. He helps me drink some homebrew, and in return I get some pretty awesome car advice. The family just bought a nice auto repair place that they've worked at for quite some time.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
boilerbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I just did an American wheat for my SIL's pharmacy school graduation party. I'm not really a fan of more than a pint or two of wheats, but I promised whatever she wanted.

Quick Reply