Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anybody brewing in this heat?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon99 View Post
For me this is the biggest problem. I don't mind sweating, but since I don't have a pre-chiller yet the carboy has to sit in the fridge overnight before I can pitch yeast.

Plus with a pre-chiller, a metric crap-ton of ice doesn't sound like fun.
I actually use my coil as a post-chiller, in-line after the plate chiller. So basically, the plate chiller gets the wort down to ~ 90º, and then down to 60-70º as it goes through the coil in the ice bath. I find this works better than trying to pre-chill the cooling water that goes through the plate chiller, but I do use every bit of 10 lbs of ice per 5 gals.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
Q2XL
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A beautiful 77F and sunny here in southern Michigan.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #23
BrewMonsterHead
Recipes 

Illinois is unseasonable cool. I have made a slew of ales due to the fact that I can just let them sit in the house with the windows open.

Don't be a sissy.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #24
lacykay
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2XL View Post
A beautiful 77F and sunny here in southern Michigan.

lucky bastard lol

Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #25
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybrewer View Post
Its been pretty warm in Oregon, above 85 recently. Not exactly the kind of weather I want to be boiling the kettle, indoors or out doors. I've got plenty of home brew saved up and I don't plan to brew again until fall.
85°? We don't even turn the a/c on till its in the 90's ... was 87° Saturday's brewday I just stay in the shade and it's all good ...

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #26
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

90f? JEEEZUS! Our AC is going fulltime these days. Overall it's been cool this summer, but the weekend was pretty damn hot...in the 90's. And humid as ballsweat.

I brewed 20 gallons in the heat and humidity yesterday. It was a LOT of work. I don't think I stayed hydrated enough, because I felt like crap last night after 8 hours in the sun. And even with a prechiller I couldn't get my wort below 78-ish. Summer sucks for brewing. Sucks! But I do it anyway...because, well, I can't stop.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #27
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
90f? JEEEZUS! Our AC is going fulltime these days. Overall it's been cool this summer, but the weekend was pretty damn hot...in the 90's. And humid as ballsweat.
I don't like giving my money to the power company so we installed a variable speed pool pump and a variable speed evaporative cooler. We are really dry here as well as hot and the thing works beautifully. It has been over 100F for about 10 days now and it is always below 75F in the house and the best part............. My Power and gas bills was $57 for June 15 - July 15th. This with the outrageous power rates in "lovely" california.

That is with 3 fridges, a 25K gallon pool and cooling a 1800 SF house in 100 degree weather
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #28
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by APendejo View Post
Yep, A/C is cranking and the waterbath/w Ice bombs are holding a steady 68.
Ditto over in GA as well

Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #29
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post

I brewed 20 gallons in the heat and humidity yesterday. It was a LOT of work. I don't think I stayed hydrated enough, because I felt like crap last night after 8 hours in the sun. And even with a prechiller I couldn't get my wort below 78-ish. Summer sucks for brewing. Sucks! But I do it anyway...because, well, I can't stop.
I like it warm but the humidity has been real low so far this summer so its bearable with just a few fans. I did the same Sunday I was doing some siding on the garage and didn't keep up with the H2O. I felt dizzy,lightheaded ,weak and stopped sweating . Had to take a cool shower and drank lots of water took about 3 hours before I felt ok again... ohh and sucked bigtime because I didn't have a beer all day ..SWMBO after that little episode said something along the lines " If I see you with a beer I will shove one of those taps so far...." well you get the idea

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 07-27-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #30
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
SWMBO after that little episode said something along the lines " If I see you with a beer I will shove one of those taps so far...." well you get the idea
"But honey...I did it for the high-energy B-vitamins...and electrolytes."
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply