New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any way to clear without IM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
LaFours
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any way to clear without IM?

I brewed an APA this weekend and forgot to add the Irish Moss. It's sitting in primary right now. Is there anyway to clear up the beer in secondary? I don't have the means to cold condition, so any other alternatives?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've never used irish moss before. stuff coagulates and settles during the cold break as your wort cools from the boil.

just let it be in the primary for a week or so. then rack it to the secondary being very careful not to stirr up what has settled. leave all that trub/yeast/hop sediment behind.

same goes for the secondary. once you've transfered it, just let it be for a spell, 3-4 weeks in the secondary will let alot of particles settle. be careful not to stir it up when you rack to the bottling bucket or keg.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
LaFours
Recipes 

Yea, I'm racking to secondary and was gonna let it sit for at least 2 weeks before I bottled.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

some guys/gals here use pollycar and other tings to clear their beer afterwards, sorta like you are inquiring about. i am content to just let it sit, and if it's hazy it's hazy, long as the hops and barley are right i don't much care. but careful racking process, one that doesn't stir up any sedement will do alot.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply