The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any Thoughts....?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Catch-22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any Thoughts....?

Ok here is the deal...I was thinking of using this Masterbuilt Turkey Fryer as a boil kettle.

I think this would work pretty well as the size would allow me to do full boils then drop in my chiller. My only thought is that the heating element is submerged in the pot. These internal coils flare out then cover and hover about an inch above the bottom supported by stainless steel "feet". I dont worry that stirring the wort etc...will damage the coils. My concern is that with that contact with the coils by the wort, I don't want excessive carmelization. It probably is no different than any direct fire method or at the minimum negligible and I'm probably over analyzing but the thoughts of being able to take this anywhere with power and make some brew, fry a turkey, cook some lobsters has me saying hmmmmm. So.....any thoughts?

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Catch-22
Recipes 

A quick edit, the inner pot is removable from the outer shell for cleaning, also, the heating element is removable and shuts off once removed from the operating position.

Dwight Schrute: In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You're going to get scorching with a submerged heating element like that. The president of my homebrew club started using electric that way and has since moved to a remote heating element in a pump flow to eliminiate scorching.

Kyle

Quick Reply