*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > any reliable way to produce a drinkable stout in 2.5 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
metal0130
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default any reliable way to produce a drinkable stout in 2.5 weeks

OK, I am in the middle of fermenting a batch of stout. It has been in the carboy for just shy of two weeks now (primary and only fermenter) and I am now looking for advice on producing a drinkable stout in 2.5 to 3 additional weeks.

now before you tell me to just be patient and wait longer... I can't - well, I can, But I will miss my opportunity. See, my brother is coming home on leave from the army from the 15th through the first of the month and if I let my beer fully mature, it wont be ready before he leaves again (and I wont see him for another year). He has said he wants to drink a tall dark beer with me and has no idea that I am making any on my own. So its kind of a bonding thing with my younger brother.

so, would it be safer to cut fermenting at two weeks? Or ferment a bit longer and cut conditioning short by a week? I am willing to accept that my beer will be a tad green as long as it may still be drinkable. so really, whats worse for the beer, not enough fermenting time or not enough conditioning time?

sorry for the long post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Are you bottling or kegging with force carbonation?

If bottling, you need to bottle it now, provided your fermentation is complete. Since you've been in the primary for two weeks, it probably is, but you should confirm that with your hydrometer.

If you have to wait to bottle, you might have good carbonation by the end of the year, but you might not. If you bottle today, you should have good carbonation by New Year's Eve.

I hope it all works out!

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd bottle at your earliest opportunity. Lucky for you many stouts are quite drinkable when they are still young and should not have a ton of carbonation in them anyway.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 12-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
metal0130
Recipes 

Thanks for your help, and I am bottling the beer. So I guess I will get my stuff together and ready to go for tonight or some time tomorrow. I too hope it works out, Either way, it was a great learning exp.

thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

5 weeks can be enough for a stout, if the ABV isn't over 5%. And even if it doesn't carbonate fully, stouts are good at low carbonation levels. Just pour gently.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-11-2007, 02:47 AM   #6
chione
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal0130
OK, I am in the middle of fermenting a batch of stout. It has been in the carboy for just shy of two weeks now (primary and only fermenter) and I am now looking for advice on producing a drinkable stout in 2.5 to 3 additional weeks.

now before you tell me to just be patient and wait longer... I can't - well, I can, But I will miss my opportunity. See, my brother is coming home on leave from the army from the 15th through the first of the month and if I let my beer fully mature, it wont be ready before he leaves again (and I wont see him for another year). He has said he wants to drink a tall dark beer with me and has no idea that I am making any on my own. So its kind of a bonding thing with my younger brother.

so, would it be safer to cut fermenting at two weeks? Or ferment a bit longer and cut conditioning short by a week? I am willing to accept that my beer will be a tad green as long as it may still be drinkable. so really, whats worse for the beer, not enough fermenting time or not enough conditioning time?

sorry for the long post

Funny you ask I was just reading
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42293
they have a stout that looks good...

Old 12-11-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you should prime with corn sugar rather than DME. It seems to carb faster.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also keep plenty of it back in a dark cool closet so when he comes home again in another year you guys can have some more.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I was reading in the BYO this morning and they said that Old Rasputin, Imperial Stout (9% alcohol) from North Coast was sold to the public after 3 weeks because it was so well balanced (meaning they put a bunch of Hi alpha Hops in it).

Thank your brother for his service

Best wishes for a happy new year

Last edited by abracadabra; 12-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 for corn sugar rather than DME

also, set aside a solid 2 hours for your bottling time. Clean the bottles first (if htey are dirty), then sanitize, then fill and cap.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply