Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any other recent/to be new Dads?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 46

My youngest just turned 21....years My brewing time no longer suffers but my beer keeps disappearing......

EDIT: Good luck new dad's and congratulations!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
MonkHeDo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 2-year old and she loves playing in the driveway with me while I brew. I let her stir the mash, and she has her own little 2-gallon pot and she brews "beer" in. Yesterday during my IPA brew day she put a rock and a pinecone in the water in her brewpot. We're calling it a West Coast IPA Steinbier.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
gavball6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My first, Connor, is 5 weeks old. I have actually brewed twice (RIS and a BIPA) since he showed up on the scene, so my brewing hasn't really suffered yet. We actually brewed yesterday. My SWMBO is a rockstar and doesn't mind missing me for 4 hours. Since it was warm out yesterday, I was able to give her a break and brew with him by my side anyway!

connors-first-brewday.jpg  

Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

It’s encouraging to see that for the most part everyone’s had time to continue brewing, even if it means switching to night-time sessions. That actually sounds a lot more fun anyhow.

As far as having a little brew buddy around, I guess I am going to need to really kid-proof my garage, including the electric brewery. I guess I have a little bit of time until I have to worry about that though!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavball6 View Post
My first, Connor, is 5 weeks old. I have actually brewed twice (RIS and a BIPA) since he showed up on the scene, so my brewing hasn't really suffered yet. We actually brewed yesterday. My SWMBO is a rockstar and doesn't mind missing me for 4 hours. Since it was warm out yesterday, I was able to give her a break and brew with him by my side anyway!
That is awesome, congrats! Cute kid!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
I mash in around seven, kid (2.5 now) goes down at eight, sparge as soon as I can. Sometimes I brew on the weekends, sometimes at night.
Almost exactly what I do. Kids (3.5 yrs 14 months) go to bed around 8. I aim to have the strike water in the tun at 7. Go inside, get them ready for bed, read books, brush teeth, etc. Tuck them in and head back out. I'm usually ready to sparge by 8:15-8:30.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Drrobo82
Recipes 

Glad I found this post! My wife is 37 weeks and I just brewed a batch on Saturday. I hope I can get one more brew in before she/ he arrives. I've done a few night brews before and looks like that works well for most of u.
Cheers!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

[IMG][/IMG]

i have 2 girls, 4 and 2. this is the 2 yr old and her neighbor friend (who's dad is also a home brewer) checking out the mash tun. at this age they are not much real help but they sure are cute.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
dizzle
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a 5 month old daughter, our first. I have definitely scaled back my consumption, but I'm brewing more. I upgraded to doing all grain a month after her birth. I have a lot of beers ready to drink, but I just don't have the time to drink them anymore. I've been giving away a lot lately.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a nearly 3 year old with another due in the next couple of weeks. So my homebrewing is put on hold until sometime after the birth. Don't want to be in the middle of a brew and have the wife come out to tell me she's in labor and we have to go to the hospital.

With the first one my beer consumption went up briefly then probably normalized after the first couple of months. My overall brewing the year he was born dropped off, but not but a huge amount. It's a good way to get some time to yourself which you need from time to time. You also end up with things like having one of your child's first 5 words be beer. Now whenever he sees a Wyeast pack or the erylmeyer flask he goes "daddy is going to grow yeast!" I have a feeling when he goes to kindergarten there might be some interesting conversations with teachers.

Quick Reply