Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any new news on Home Depot Homer buckets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
JJL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner5 View Post
That's not true.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredie.../ucm093435.htm

Also some dyes can make in non food grade.
Regardless, leaching isn't a practical concern. The FDA, or any other government agency is terribly overly cautious. Plus, the FDA isn't saying there is a problem. They're basically just saying be aware that they don't regulate recycled material. Also, all pails are dyed. Even white ones. The biggest difference between the homer buckets and brew buckets in my experience is that the homer buckets are typically a little thinner and less durable. They are more prone to cracking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
ChuckCollins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Ok can you buy 2 5 Gal buckets and split the batch????

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #23
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by strantor View Post
That isn't the first time I've read "If ____________ then this isn't the hobby for you." It seems kind of surprising considering that this used to be done in clay pots without written language. I would expect that kind of response if this were a sailboating forum or forum for people who owned airplanes, but it's a forum about making alcoholic beverages which actually happens spontaneously in nature. So what hobby would you suggest for a tightwad like me? Collecting rocks? Do I need kilobucks worth of "specialized," "deluxe," "state of the art," "scientifically engineered" hobbyist products for that?
Come off of it. Skimping on a bucket to save a few bucks makes little sense. You know what you get with that $15 bucket? Room to fit a full 5 gallons of beer with room to spare. Room for the krausen to develop without it blowing out the top and making a mess (usually). The 6.5-7.5 bucket is the right tool for the job.

I don't know about you, but half-assing something is a sure way to make a hobby less enjoyable.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Home depot also sells white HDPE 5 gallon buckets & lids right next to the Homer buckets in whatever aisle that is in the store. Those are definitely food safe, and marked "food grade" on the bottom. I have about 10 of them. They are slightly more expensive than the orange ones with Home Depot advertising on them, but still something like $4-$5 with the lid IIRC.

I don't typically ferment in them, although I have fermented smaller batches in them in the past. Mostly I use them for storing grains or other stuff (e.g. I have a solution of whiskey that I use to keep my whiskey barrel fresh), and for miscellaneous tasks on brew day.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default go ahead

hmmm...some may feel they are smarter than the FDA, but I'll stick with using food grade products for brewing....and DUH they are 5 Gallons...that isn't enough to ferment a 5 Gallon Batch.

I bought several of the Lowes 5 gallon food grade buckets as extra containers to be used for sanitizing etc.....but I also occasionally use them for small batches. I do 2.5 to 3.5 gallon batches of SMASH to learn more about various Hop flavors....and have also used smaller batches to perfect recipes.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
strantor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I don't know about you, but half-assing something is a sure way to make a hobby less enjoyable.
Unfortunately, "half-assing" it is the only way to make the hobby attainable for me. I put "half-assing" in quotations because it's totally subjective.

Someone driving a Navigator could accuse someone driving a yugo of "half assing," but the yugo driver still gets to work, and with considerably less financial burden.

Cabellas' and Cabellas' loyalists would have you believe that you can't shoot a duck without a $3000 gun, a $12000 camouflaged boat, a $1000 camouflage outfit, $500 worth of decoys, and on and on. Yet I swear to you that I have shot a duck from the sky with a $100 gun from Walmart, wearing a red shirt, standing on shore.

You won't convince me that I need to pay $15 for a 7 gallon bucket when I can get (3) 5 gallon buckets for the same price.

EDIT: oh yeah, and what you call "half-assing" in this instance, I call "being creative," and I take pride in making my own process. I can't bring myself to follow a recipe to a T. I have to make it my own. So diverging from the supreme word of the homebrew authority (whoever and wherever that is - you?) gives me a higher sense of accomplishment than using "the right tool for the right job."
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
strantor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Home depot also sells white HDPE 5 gallon buckets & lids right next to the Homer buckets in whatever aisle that is in the store. Those are definitely food safe, and marked "food grade" on the bottom. I have about 10 of them. They are slightly more expensive than the orange ones with Home Depot advertising on them, but still something like $4-$5 with the lid IIRC.
I thought I saw them there too, but when I went all they had were the orange ones. Maybe they were out. I'm going to check Lowes.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #28
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 12

http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item...categoryid=752

6 gallon for $8.50 and 7 gallon for $9.50
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #29
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by strantor View Post
Unfortunately, "half-assing" it is the only way to make the hobby attainable for me. I put "half-assing" in quotations because it's totally subjective.

Someone driving a Navigator could accuse someone driving a yugo of "half assing," but the yugo driver still gets to work, and with considerably less financial burden.

Cabellas' and Cabellas' loyalists would have you believe that you can't shoot a duck without a $3000 gun, a $12000 camouflaged boat, a $1000 camouflage outfit, $500 worth of decoys, and on and on. Yet I swear to you that I have shot a duck from the sky with a $100 gun from Walmart, wearing a red shirt, standing on shore.

You won't convince me that I need to pay $15 for a 7 gallon bucket when I can get (3) 5 gallon buckets for the same price.

EDIT: oh yeah, and what you call "half-assing" in this instance, I call "being creative," and I take pride in making my own process. I can't bring myself to follow a recipe to a T. I have to make it my own. So diverging from the supreme word of the homebrew authority (whoever and wherever that is - you?) gives me a higher sense of accomplishment than using "the right tool for the right job."
you don't get it. I'm not saying that it is half-assing because you are going with the cheaper option. It's half-assing because you can't fit 5 gallons of fermenting beer into a container that is only 5 gallons! Its half-assing because the fermenting beer has no where to go in that 5 gallon container and you lose 0.5 gallon to blow off, only leaving you with 4.5 gallons.

How many gallons of beer will you lose before you realize you actually would have saved money with the larger bucket, just by minimizing blow-off losses?

Penny-wise, pound foolish.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
you don't get it. I'm not saying that it is half-assing because you are going with the cheaper option. It's half-assing because you can't fit 5 gallons of fermenting beer into a container that is only 5 gallons! Its half-assing because the fermenting beer has no where to go in that 5 gallon container and you lose 0.5 gallon to blow off, only leaving you with 4.5 gallons.

How many gallons of beer will you lose before you realize you actually would have saved money with the larger bucket, just by minimizing blow-off losses?

Penny-wise, pound foolish.
Wow...

And why can't you comprehend a fact that he can split a batch into 2 buckets?

Do you have problems with people that do 10 gallon batches, and split it into two carboys? What about using a bucket at all? Isn't that half assing when the pros use conicals?

And why do you HAVE to brew 5 gallon batches. Why can't somebody do 4 gallon batches? Not everything has to be done your way.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

People Like This 

Quick Reply