Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any new news on Home Depot Homer buckets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #171
peck_man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just skip all this plastic bucket nonsense and get yourself a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Its worth the couple extra bucks and will last a lifetime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #172
ShaineT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck_man View Post
Just skip all this plastic bucket nonsense and get yourself a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Its worth the couple extra bucks and will last a lifetime.
Thanks peck_man I do have carboys as well as an Ale-Pail and soda-kegs all of which are fine vessels for fermenting in. Recently the only way I could ferment 8 gallons of lager in my keezer and still have room for 2 soda-kegs was to stack up two 5gallon HDPE food grade buckets. Smallest footprint I could arrange without spending $270 on a 10 gallon cornelius. I noticed a post on this thread that claimed 5 gallon buckets are 'pointless' for fermenting beer in, point is; use what work best for your current situation as long as the contact surface of your vessel is food safe/food grade. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced 10 gallon fermenting option with no more than 11" diameter please let me know

Old 07-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #173
negativereaction
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For those with a Menards nearby, they have specifically-marked food grade 5gal buckets for $3.97. They look exactly like the regular john deere green buckets they sell for $3.47, except for being white. One wonders if the color is the sole difference, and the buckets are exactly the same otherwise.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #174
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 524

I only use Homer buckets to condition and mill my grains into (after an initial thorough cleaning). Well, and for soaking bottles in Oxiclean (but different bucket). I agree with others that fermentation is not a place to save money. Not sure where cutting corners is possible in brewing but risking your health is not worth it. Ever.

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!
unionrdr Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #175
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

^^Word man. I use my orange homer cheapo bucket for draining PBW out of fermenters soaked clean,delabeling large numbers of bottles in PBW,that sort of thing. Rinse it out,sanitize it with Starsan,dry out lid on & store. I also use it under my Barley Crusher grain mill. Fits like a glove. The wood base covers the top of the bucket,so no poofy stuff all over everything like bondo dust. I also got a 12oz shiny new scoop to get the crushed grains from the bucket into the biab kettle set up. No more pouring too much & getting it in the burner tray. That $5 bucket sees a lot of brewery uses,but fermentation won't be one of them. 5G fills it virtually to the top.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #176
rjmaster19
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you live near a Firehouse Subs fast food place, they sell the buckets they get pickles in for a buck or two. Baking soda helps to get rid of the pickle smell.

Of course if you're going for a pickle beer you're in luck! !

Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #177
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Although if you break it and sever your femoral artery, that lifetime would be significantly shorter.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #178
ShaineT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPushrods View Post
Although if you break it and sever your femoral artery, that lifetime would be significantly shorter.
Make sure to hold pressure, if the glass is embedded don't pull it out until you get to the ER.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #179
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

Cleaning glass carboys sucks. If you're pressed for space, carboys suck. Buckets are a breeze to fill and clean, and I can store my stuff in the ones not in use as well as stack them.

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #180
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I"ve been using 2 gallon HD paint buckets to ferment and bottle for the past 2 years. No problems in taste yet and one took 2nd place in this years Kona Brew Contest. But then I"m 70 and to old to worry bout stuff. LOL

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Quick Reply