Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any new news on Home Depot Homer buckets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #101
doctorRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

whats funny is if they were died white, like a brew bucket, than nobody would have a problem with it. Am I wrong in thinking that for the regular fermenters they put something in the plastic to make them white?

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #102
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2448 Times on 1725 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

HDPE is naturally somewhat translucent. They 'could' add any color they want, but it comes raw as whiteish color. Molded some gasoline funnels today with 'natural' HDPE. It's the same material used in milk jugs and other things.

Also it might be worth it to know that any product not approved as food safe or better may have other things in it such as mold release, oil, contamination from other materials, etc. as a consequence of a production facility. Food grade products have a more stringent cleanliness and contamination standard to follow.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #103
strantor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 36

For the record I think that the mold releasing agent argument that was brought up is totally valid. I have worked on injection mold machines before and watched the operators. They spray the mold with some nasty stuff called "stoner" and shoot the molten polymer/rubber/plastic/HPDE/whatever pellets in there. The pellets melt against and conform to the shape of the surface of the freshly "stoner" coated mold, so I assume that some of that crap HAS to become impregnated into the plastic. I had not thought of this (did not realize that buckets were injection molded) before asking about the homer buckets. In light of this, I would recommend using only food grade containers for storing grains or fermenting.

And that is my final word. I am officially withdrawing from this discussion. thanks again everybody.

Reason: added info
fearwig Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #104
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

10 pages on Homer buckets might be completely ridiculous, but when I read posts like this ^^^^^, I think it's worth educating myself.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #105
Darren231
Recipes 

If you're looking to go on the cheap for fermenters go to Menards and purchase 4 gal spring water bottles...I think I paid $5/ea. I use three of them for a 10 gal batch. I get my knife steel nice and hot, melt a hole through the nipple and stick the air gap in. It's nice and tight. I've thought about flipping them and poking two holes and shoving a tube to the airspace and venting through the bottom and installing a drain situation to capture the yeast.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #106
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by strantor View Post
For the record I think that the mold releasing agent argument that was brought up is totally valid. I have worked on injection mold machines before and watched the operators. They spray the mold with some nasty stuff called "stoner" and shoot the molten polymer/rubber/plastic/HPDE/whatever pellets in there. The pellets melt against and conform to the shape of the surface of the freshly "stoner" coated mold, so I assume that some of that crap HAS to become impregnated into the plastic. I had not thought of this (did not realize that buckets were injection molded) before asking about the homer buckets. In light of this, I would recommend using only food grade containers for storing grains or fermenting.

And that is my final word. I am officially withdrawing from this discussion. thanks again everybody.
Thanks for the follow-up, OP. I'm out too guys.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #107
Disander
Recipes 

Likes Given: 14

Through all of this thread I have come to a conclusion of my own (Secret One). Thank you to everyone that has actively participated!

~Dis

Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #108
castermmt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I seen some at Lowes. They have a food grade bucket

bucket.jpg  

Fuzzy Logic Brewery, Check it out here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/fuz...rewery-288498/

Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #109
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default right now

I am brewing a 3.5 gallon batch right now...that will be going into the Lowes Food grade 5 gallon bucket for fermentation...using a gasketed ale pail lid which fits perfectly.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #110
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Dang, I have about 12 homer buckets. I don't use them for fermentation but I have been storing grains in them. I'm not dead yet or anything but had I read this first I would have bought something else to use to keep grain in.

Quick Reply