Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any hope for this beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
BoilerUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any hope for this beer?

I just finished my first partial mash APA and put it in the secondary for 2 weeks and then bottled. To prime, I used the measured out DME instead of Dextrose. (I tried to change too much too quick I guess ). It's been 4 weeks since bottling and it is still not carbed. The OG was 1.09 and FG 1.023. The flavor is amazing, but it's flat, do I have any hope?

As a side note, this may have pushed me over the edge into getting a kegging system. Any major disadvantages of this transition?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

What temperature are you storing your bottles at to carbonate? Everything sounds fine to me.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would just make sure that you're keeping your bottles as close to 70F as possible. If you're storing them in a cooler place, it will take more time to carb up, but DME will carb just fine for you. You're only 6 weeks from brewing anyways, so this will give your beer some more time to mellow out as well.

I also just took the plunge into kegging and am quite happy with the results. Much less work and it's so nice to pour a cold pint whenever I want one.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 05-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

There's a couple of things you may be fighting. First, high alcohol beers are notoriously slow at carbonating. It looks like your beer is near 9%. Second, you need to use about 30% more DME than sugar to get the same rate of carbonation. Did you make that adjustment?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
BoilerUp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply's. I have been storing the bottles at 65 F. As far as DME i used a little over 1 1/2 cups per 5 gallon batch. I only boiled it in water for about 25 minutes. Could it be a problem of not enough conversion, resulting in the small amount of carbing? I understand the yeast will take longer with high ABV, but I saw no noticeable difference in week 2 to week 3 in carbonation.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

DME's already been converted, so the boil time is no problem. I think the advice you've been getting is just fine -- give it some time.

Quick Reply