The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any Canadians??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #101
Pivot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwidbliss View Post
I am not a Canadian. My great grandfather was from Hamilton, Ontario. His last name was Spence. I am as the crow flies 15 miles from the border across the pond.
Haha so what, is this the whole mentality that if someone is from canada then "hey you must know so-and-so"

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #102
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkelly View Post
Today I joined facebook just to hook up with SOB and get in on some purchases in the future. I'm just starting out, though, and it may be another week or two before I brew my first batch. (Probably an APA with extract.)

I've checked out Brew Time already, and I'll get my supplies there at least to start with. Do you know anywhere better than here to get a good-quality brew pot locally? I think I want a 32-qt aluminum stockpot that I can use (insulated) on an electric stovetop.

I'm looking forward to getting started
If you have a glass-top electric stove it might be difficult to boil even 5 gallons. My Jenn-Air will barely bring 5 gallons of water to a gentle boil.

A lot of people pick up a turkey fryer for brewing. Should be somewhere around your area to check those out. Also your link is to aluminum pots; they seem to work fine but some people do prefer stainless. Lastly, if you have a good discount homeware store around, that might be a good place to look. I see Hamilton has a HomeSense; I bought a 22 quart stainless pot there for what I thought was a good price.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #103
krkelly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
If you have a glass-top electric stove it might be difficult to boil even 5 gallons. My Jenn-Air will barely bring 5 gallons of water to a gentle boil.
I have an old-school electric stove. I figure that with insulation and possibly a supplementary 1500W heat stick, I'll be able to control boils well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr
A lot of people pick up a turkey fryer for brewing. Should be somewhere around your area to check those out. Also your link is to aluminum pots; they seem to work fine but some people do prefer stainless.
There are stainless pots on that page further down, but they don't have the right size. (Wouldn't 27-qt be a bit too small for 5-gal boils?) A restaurant-quality aluminum pot would probably last forever as well. I really have to get down there and see them for myself, though.

As for the turkey fryer, I was thinking that eventually I'd get a propane burner, so I'd end up with a higher-quality equivalent, with a sturdier pot and more BTUs on the burner. Yes, not the cheap way, but I want a pot that also won't scorch the wort on an electric burner.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #104
krkelly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
Haha so what, is this the whole mentality that if someone is from canada then "hey you must know so-and-so"
That reminds me of when I was in Reykjavik in 1971. Everyone wanted to practice their English on me, and one guy asked, "You're from Canada? Do you know Frank Zappa?"

Well, it was funny at the time

Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #105
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTieBrewing View Post
I've ordered from Hops Direct. I paid $30 to have 5 pounds of pellets shipped USPS to Ontario. It's definitely cheaper in the long run to buy in bulk if you plan on brewing a lot.

When I want bulk hops, I go Hops Direct also.

Even with shipping to Newfoundland, it is still cheaper than the LHBS.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #106
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwidbliss View Post
I am not a Canadian. My great grandfather was from Hamilton, Ontario. His last name was Spence. I am as the crow flies 15 miles from the border across the pond.

No I don't know him, but we have lots them here.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #107
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkelly View Post
Today I joined facebook just to hook up with SOB and get in on some purchases in the future. I'm just starting out, though, and it may be another week or two before I brew my first batch. (Probably an APA with extract.)

I've checked out Brew Time already, and I'll get my supplies there at least to start with. Do you know anywhere better than here to get a good-quality brew pot locally? I think I want a 32-qt aluminum stockpot that I can use (insulated) on an electric stovetop.

I'm looking forward to getting started
Now I have another person I need to get together to brew with.

I've never been there so I can't comment on them. I usually go to niagara restaurant supply in st catharines. I'd also recommend the turkey fryer I picked mine up for $50 at canadian tire last year. if your going the stovetop route you may want to consider 2 smaller pots and do a split boil to save a little time.

The guys at brewtime are good guys. They have started to really scale back the ingredients they stock lately though. Fortunately the SOB's have kept me well stocked with grains. Are you Adam from the gain buy post on the SOB list?

Old 01-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #108
krkelly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
Now I have another person I need to get together to brew with.
Sure, but I'm still pretty clueless at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1
if your going the stovetop route you may want to consider 2 smaller pots and do a split boil to save a little time.
I think I can make it work by insulating the pot, but we'll see how it goes. I also expect to get a propane burner sooner or later, but I'd rather stay inside during winter. I guess it's a matter of weighing slower boils against winter weather. I'll need to experience a few brew days to decide what my preferences are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1
The guys at brewtime are good guys. They have started to really scale back the ingredients they stock lately though. Fortunately the SOB's have kept me well stocked with grains. Are you Adam from the gain buy post on the SOB list?
No, I haven't joined the mailing list yet, just the facebook group and the forum. I'm sorry that Brew Time is cutting back on brewing supplies. It does seem as if everyone wants to make wine, but wine gives me headaches and cotton mouth. Beer just makes me fat and happy

Old 01-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #109
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What you need to do is go to st catharines and experience steve's famous propane burner in the kitchen brewing system. I've been to a couple.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #110
phatmatt
Recipes 

Just noticed this thread now. I am from st catharines, and make cider and started doing beer recently. Are there any good lhbs around here for hops? seems to be the only thing i am having problems finding localy.

Quick Reply