*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any beers you changed your mind on since you started homebrewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
PanzerBanana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Home brewing just intensified my interest in beer.

I have lost interest in really hoppy beer though. It was a nice change, and I don't mind extra hops in assorted American styles. But for the most part I now lean toward balanced fully bodied brews. I moderate my hops so a good IPA or American Pale really is something different.

Plus, I'm exercising more. Don't need the extra estrogen from hoppy beers. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #22
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Yeah probably sours for me. In fact I can remember listing "sours" as a category I'd prefer not to judge when I first started judging in competitions. I judged sours in a competition a few months ago and it was delightful. There was one gueuze (that happened to be accidentally entered as a straight lambic) that was among the best I've ever had, homebrew or commercial.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

well I only have brewed three batches to date since taking on this new hobby but the one beer I believe I've lost interest in slightly are barleywines. Just not into the high alcohol content.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 AM   #24
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 329

I agree with Revvy's early post - lighter beers. In particular, I love brewing (drinking) Helles, Dortmunder, British Mild, Brittish Bitter . . . . session beers. I like the challenge of brewing an awesome tasting beer that is 1.035- low 40 range. It is not easy to do, especially if it is a "golden" beer. Lagers in general as well - especially german beers ( pils, oktoberfest, maibock, etc.)

Also have become interested in sours a bit as others have mentioned too. Rodenbach is a favorite and the one that got me hooked (along with a New Glarus Cherry Stout.)

What am I less interested in to offset this? Crazy beers (odd additions, fruit, spice, etc. etc. etc.) I used to always see a recipe and thing "what can I add to it to make it "better" (which usually made it worse).

Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 AM   #25
sundaypapers
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have to agree that one thing I notice and appreciate more is a delicate beer that is balanced. Very hard to do ad hard to come by. There's a lot of craft beer out there that is great and full of powerful flavors and aromas, but I really like a well balanced beer that has nothing to hide behind. I wish I could come up with an example here, maybe six points resin? I am enjoying the new Albion ale as of last week. There is something great about simplicity, and that beer is solid and simple.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #26
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sour beers, and specifically true Lambics. I read about them, tried one and thought "gross they just let open to the air and come what may?" but now realizing that this creates a beer that is one drinkable, two can get you drunk, and three is actually delicious, it is pretty amazing. I mean this is literally manna from heaven.

Quick Reply