New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any beers you changed your mind on since you started homebrewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
julioardz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I enjoy most types of beer, from Belgians to IPA's, micro- to macro-brewed, foreign and domestic, and beers anywhere on the SRM color chart and IBU range. Can't say I enjoy sours much. I try them from time to time but I haven't cared to brew one.

I use to equally enjoy lagers and ales, but since I've been home brewing, and more specifically, since I brewed my first lager, I haven't enjoyed lagers as much. When it comes to the two, ales are my favorite.

Lagers have a distinct taste that I didn't recognize as being a lager taste until I brewed my own and tasted it during fermentation. I don't know how to describe it, but I don't care for that taste. It mellows out over time as the beer conditions and stabilizes, but it's always there. Not only do I taste it in my home brewed lagers, but now I taste it in commercial micro and macro brewed beers. I taste it in the lagers made by some of my local breweries, as well as in those by the largest companies around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
MoPhunk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I would say bigger beers. Before I started homebrewing any high alcohol style grossed me out. I couldnt stand the flavor. Now I'm more than happy to sip on a 10-14% beer all night(makes for a short night though.). I also don't drink as much bmc as I used to. My whole drinking philosophy has morphed from a case of beer on the weekend to more alcohol less beer.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Stand
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I've gained a lot more respect for balanced session beers, and bored myself of the super-flavor beers (intensely hopped, intensely strong, etc). Still enjoy em, still brew em from time to time, but learned a well-crafted, well balanced but still flavorful and properly bodied low alcohol beer is a real challenge.
I second that. My first HB was an Irish stout, but after that I did a bunch of high gravity things because I could. I threw every grain and hop I could find into them, and I thought they were pretty great. Whenever I pull out a bottle that's been sitting since then I wonder what I was thinking.

Now I brew the beer I really want to drink rather than what I think will be the coolest thing to brew. More is less I suppose.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

For me since I started brewing IPAs and all of the beers of Belgium I have found I liked. I had never had a Belgian beer before brewing. IPAs just didn't do it for me till I learned about hops additions and flavors. Now I have a healthy respect for a good IPA, bad ones I still don't like.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal),
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk
Up coming beers: Sati, Koyt or schipluyden.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I grew up with PBR's, Michelobs, Coor Lights, etc. and if I wanted a "good" beer, I would get Moosehead. Then I got older and stayed with Coor Light all year long. Never had a craving for Porters or Stouts. I just started brewing last October..wanting to brew a Coors Light...it never happened, ended up brewing a Blonde Ale...4 batches later, guess what is in my two carboys? A Coffee Porter and a Molasses Oatmeal Stout....love the stuff. Will I be drinking this stuff when the summer is here? Time will tell, but I am drinking what I never used to like drinking

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, wink!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
axivanax
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm still young at homebrewing, but it still has changed the perspective how hard is to make a good beer.Though some ales that I've brewed, I think, are better than some macrobrewers lagers, nevertheless I still drink and enjoy them, because of the clarity and refreshing qualities.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

I fell in love with two types of beer after being exposed to some quality homebrew versions, smoked and sours. Love the stuff. A sour is on the list to brew as soon as I can dedicate sour equipment.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
sundaypapers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm suddenly interested in sours. I don't know of any other than a few that I've had from jester king. It's a new experience to me, any that you can recommend?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaypapers View Post
I'm suddenly interested in sours. I don't know of any other than a few that I've had from jester king. It's a new experience to me, any that you can recommend?
Rodenbach is a classic Flanders Red. I'm big on the 1809 Berliner Weisse. Drei Fonteinen and Tilquin make some great Gueuze. Lindeman's Gueuze Cuvee Rene is a good, affordable, and easy to find Gueuze. If you've got access, Russian River makes some good sours (I've only been able to try Supplication, Sanctification, and Consecration). Cantillon is great all around.

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #20
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Miller Lite actually tastes better to me now that I've been homebrewing.

Bottled: RIS ; RIS 2 ; BDSA ; Tripel 3 ; English IPA 1 ; Session IPA 2 ; Saison 9 ; Singel 2 ; Porter 2
Kegged: empty

Quick Reply