Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Any beers you changed your mind on since you started homebrewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
sundaypapers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see beer very differently now that I have a small idea of what goes into making it, time, effort, creativity, etc. are there any beers that you initially snubbed that you have gone back to and had a eureka moment with?
My two big ones are no real surprise: dfh 60 minute and stone levitation ale. I guess I just wasn't ready for those yet. Now I love them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i used to not like brown ales at all. since i started brewing, i'm rarely without 1 on tap

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yeah actually, BMC/Light Lagers. Actually lagers in general.

I came from a craft beer background. I didn't like that style beer when I started drinking, and when I turned beer drinking age it was at the start of the craft beer craze in the early 80's so pretty much I've grown up drinking only craft beers, and snubbing BMC. And buying into all the idiotic and historically inaccurate beersnob lies about how BMC added adjunct to cut costs, and all that other stuff that had me looking down at BMC, and those who drank them.

Then I read Maureen Ogle's book Ambitious Brew, and learned the truth about how the style developed, and was created because of consumer demand since people in the 1800's could afford meat with every meal and therefore heavy beers (liquid bread) was falling out of favors. So I started to give those beers, and the American Lager/Light Lager a different look...and developed more respect for them.

And I realized what I didn't like about Budweiser and Bud light in particular, was not that they were BMC or made by the supposed "evil empire" but that they were rice adjuncted lagers. And I didn't like other Rice adjuncted lagers, like Sapporo...but I did like corn adjuncted lagers, regardless of whether they were made by craft breweries or by the mega ones. And I quite enjoy corn adjuncted lagers, like Labatts.

In fact the more and more lagers, and lager like ales I've discovered the more I've loved. Maibocs, Vienna Lagers, Bohemian Pilsners, Dopplebocks all wonderful and amazing beers that I virtually ignored or looked down at because they were "lagers" and I thought I was too good for them. And even Kolsh, which is an ale, but in a lot of ways lager like. I looked down and passed all these amazing beers by because I had a "beersnob" stick up my ass and thought those beers and those who drank them were "less than" I was.

As I homebrewer I came to appreciate just how difficult it is to brew a light american lager, especially consistantly, batch after batch, and just because I didn't enjoy a certain beer, didn't mean that the brewery didn't deserve my respect for turning out such a difficult product to brew. And that the breweries themselves like AHB-inbev contributed so much historically to the culture and the technology of brewing beer.

And I also learned that all beer has it's place, EVEN light beers, especially in the summer. And that beer is the most egalitarian of drinks, and we shouldn't have an "us vs them" mentality about it. And open ourselves up to trying ALL beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
pferrell
Recipes 

Well said, Revvy.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
sundaypapers
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Totally agree revvy, I believe there is a time for any beer. I love coming in from mowing the lawn in june and cracking an almost frozen miller or coors. It's just as rewarding as a Newcastle on my porch on a cool fall night, or a nice and bright IPA in spring time with some spicy salsa. It's easy to get caught up in snobbery and forget craft.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
Dustinj
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I do love a frozen ass bud light when it's 105 out. I have changed my mind on IPA's. I don't like them much before. One of my favorites now.

Beer me!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1569 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 648

I've gained a lot more respect for balanced session beers, and bored myself of the super-flavor beers (intensely hopped, intensely strong, etc). Still enjoy em, still brew em from time to time, but learned a well-crafted, well balanced but still flavorful and properly bodied low alcohol beer is a real challenge.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
kscarrington
Silent Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 10

IPAs. Over a year ago I would never find myself ordering or buying one. Now, while its not my favorite beer style, I can appreciate the flavor, aroma, and bitterness that accompanies and IPA. My black coffee RyePA is fermenting away in the garage as I write this.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
citingzero
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

I used to be all about IPAs. I don't hate then now, they're just eh... I've actually found myself buying quite a bit of rolling rock (in a can), but that's probably due to the fact that the bar that we go to on Sundays for football has $1 RR cans. I expect that I will move back to craft beers once football is over.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

For me, it's a different appreciation for most beers Belgian (I used to thin kthat they used spices to try cover funny flavours, not realizing the beers have historically been that way, and one should embrace the spiciness.)

Also, though I have come to respect the consistency and technical difficulty f BMC (or, in my homeland up north here, LabbattsMolsonCarling, LMC), I can't enjoy Keith's IPa or Kokanee anymore.

This pains me a little, because Keith's is the beer that made me realize hops were a thing...even though it's got to be less than 15 IBU's and have no particular flavour, it stood out as "hoppier" when I was first legally allowed to appreciate beer. Kokanee also used to somehow seem better than the other plain mass market lagers - not anymore.

I'd rather have a Moosehead, or even better a Cream of Three Crops, any day, if I'm drinking that type of beer.

It's just weird that if the two beers I now can't stand hadn't somehow stood out from the crowd fifteen years ago, I wouldn't be a beer guy.

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Quick Reply