Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Another reason to hate Budweiser

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #51
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
+1

Government is the cause and means of passing dumb laws. When people try to sell the idea of a "partnership" between business and government (cough LBJ) they really mean favors for this business or that. Whatever a business does, dumb government is the link in the chain that's broken.
Nope, government is part of the problem, but not the cause. The lobbyists that speak for InBev/AB and Miller-Coors don't have the best interests of the craft breweries in mind. Those lobbyists are effective because of the large sums of money that InBev/AB and Miller-Coors can throw around, which in turn greases the pockets of many politicians. Those companies keep the stupid laws around because they can exploit loop holes. Craft and microbreweries are UNABLE to do that, InBev/AB and Miller-Coors know this, take advantage of this, and use it to keep the small breweries down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #52
GuitarBob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
Nope, government is part of the problem, but not the cause. The lobbyists that speak for InBev/AB and Miller-Coors don't have the best interests of the craft breweries in mind. Those lobbyists are effective because of the large sums of money that InBev/AB and Miller-Coors can throw around, which in turn greases the pockets of many politicians. Those companies keep the stupid laws around because they can exploit loop holes. Craft and microbreweries are UNABLE to do that, InBev/AB and Miller-Coors know this, take advantage of this, and use it to keep the small breweries down.

If government didn't have the power to make these stupid laws then no business would bother paying for lobbyists to go lobby them.

Because government decides to regulate every little thing a business does, businesses send lobbyists into government to make sure laws are passed that are in that particular business favor.

A company will always do whats in it's best interest, just like every individual does what in his best interest. This isn't a problem in a free market where government stays out of the way, but in out current system where government can use force to punish certain companies, and subsidies to support others, it results in the lobbyists you complain about.

Take away that power from the government, and all the lobbyists would disappear. Money spent on lobbyists could then be spent on something more useful like R&D. Failing companies would then be allowed to fail, and create room for newer successful companies to take their place.

The problem is government it has way too much power, and people not being pissed off enough about it.

A lot of people don't even know what a free market is anymore. I can't really blame them we havnt had one in this country since beginning of the 20th century.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #53
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ok, this is getting to braniac for me.

I'm just not going to give AB/Inver and Miller/Coors any of my money and encourage others to do the same. For those of you that will continue to do so while you completely overhaul the political, legal and economic milieu to solve this problem, I wish you good luck. Please let me know when this bloodless (assuming you are not a armed rebellion type) coup takes place and I will be way ahead of you drinking fine beer.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply