Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Another reason to hate Budweiser

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
GoNova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Another reason to hate Budweiser

This is disgraceful....

How InBev Is Abusing Agencies With Its Payment Terms
VIEWPOINT: Not Paying Bills, Looking to Others to Finance Operations Is Simply Wrong

Posted by Steve McKee on 05.05.09 @ 05:43 PM

When Belgian brewer InBev bought venerable beer-maker Anheuser-Busch last fall, we knew things were going to change. Then shortly after the acquisition, Bob Lachky, A-B's legendary chief creative officer, left the company, and we knew things were going to change a lot. What none of us could know, however, was just how far InBev was willing to go to damage the reputation of an iconic corporation.

InBev has replaced executive offices with bullpens. So what? It has cut jobs and dropped perks like first-class flights and baseball tickets. Yawn. It has pulled back on sports marketing, cut back on company cars, and even ended an agency relationship or two. Hey, times are tough.

But the company, which controls nearly half of the domestic beer market, has gone one step too far. InBev has unilaterally and summarily announced that it is going to take up to 120 days to pay its bills. That, my agency friends, sets a horrible precedent. And not only is it irresponsible, it's simply wrong.

Why the decision? InBev CEO Carlos Brito was quoted in The Wall Street Journal last month as saying, "We always say, the leaner the business, the more money we'll have at the end of the year to share." Well, Mr. Brito, that's true of any company, but we all still need to pay our bills. If every company decided to follow the same course of action, we'd drive our ailing economy to its grave.

'Machete-wielding investment bankers'
Morningstar analyst Ann Gilpin describes the InBev team as "ruthless" and "machete-wielding investment bankers." Unfortunately, most of InBev's vendors are unable to speak their minds as freely as Ms. Gilpin (which I think proves the point). One, a St. Louis corporation that makes brewing technology, decided to launch its own protest by purchasing beer for its corporate headquarters and stadium suites elsewhere. Dave Peacock, head of InBev's U.S. division, said that the company's decision is "surprising and one that we believe won't be well appreciated." Hmmm.

The government of Belgium is looking into a slightly more "formal" protest of its own, contending that InBev is abusing its power by forcing its much-smaller suppliers to bend to its will. Many ad agencies would certainly fit that bill, as would companies such as Supplied Industrial Solutions in Granite City, Illinois, which generates a whopping $700,000 in annual revenue and employs four people. Better make that three now.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Steve McKee is president of McKee Wallwork Cleveland and author of "When Growth Stalls: How it Happens, Why You're Stuck and What to Do About It."

Times are tough, but InBev has crossed the line with this decision. By forcing other companies to finance its operations, InBev is tying up capital that doesn't belong to it. That hinders those companies' ability to invest in innovation -- not to mention meet their monthly payrolls. InBev is stealing their futures, plain and simple. And in plain sight.

Time for self-respect
I wonder if InBev will be withholding the paychecks of its in-house media-buying staff for months at a time. Of course not, because they know they'd face a walkout, followed by a lawsuit. I also wonder what would happen if all of InBev's retail customers started telling bartenders and checkout clerks that they'll enjoy their beer now and pay for it three or four months down the road. No, I don't.

It's time the advertising industry showed some self-respect. Instead of lying down and getting bullied -- there's no better term for it -- we should say enough is enough. Especially in light of the kinds of companies that reportedly won't be subjected to the InBev squeeze play: independent beer distributors. They, according to The Wall Street Journal, are "key partners in the company's efforts to sell more beer."

Well, InBev agencies, at least you know where you stand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Bean-counters. Unfortunately I can't give them any less business...or maybe that should be 'fortunately'.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

LOL, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. You know how suppliers will react to this? They'll just raise their prices. Now Budweiser is too big just to drop, no matter how mad they would be about this. However, if they have to carry a balance for them the price of those supplies are going to go up.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Beerzoid
Recipes 

That is ridiculous, I've never heard of any company changing their Accounts Payable terms to suppliers to something that crazy. I would love to see all the suppliers band together and jack up their prices to Budweiser, but it's probably not going to happen.

Another reason to hate Budweiser:

I was at a Bar last night and a distributor was trying to get everyone to buy Budlight Lime, they even had a Budweiser girl giving away free drinks. It was quite hilarious as everyone was either drinking Oregon Micro's or Mexican beer.

I also overheard him talking about how he has some huge incentives from Budweiser to push as much of there stuff as possible. I wanted to throw my Beer in his face, but I didn't want to waste any Mirror Pond. And people wonder why small breweries have a hard time cracking the market.

Last edited by Beerzoid; 05-06-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastle;
I can't give them any less business...
Yes, I wish I could buy less BMC products but I can't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerzoid View Post
That is ridiculous, I've never heard of any company changing their Accounts Payable terms to suppliers to something that crazy. I would love to see all the suppliers band together and jack up their prices to Budweiser, but it's probably not going to happen.

Another reason to hate Budweiser:

I was at a Bar last night and a distributor was trying to get everyone to buy Budlight Lime, they even had a Budweiser girl giving away free drinks. It was quite hilarious as everyone was either drinking Oregon Micro's or Mexican beer.

I also overheard him talking about how he has some huge incentives from Budweiser to push as much of there stuff as possible. I wanted to throw my Beer in his face, but I didn't want to waste any Mirror Pond. And people wonder why small breweries have a hard time cracking the market.
Yeah, that would have pissed me off too. I use to go to this beer/alcohol store that had a good selection but has since closed At any rate they always had coors light girls in there on Friday night pushing their product. I hate these da$n marketing campaigns and the deceitful promises that they tell to their flock.
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 05-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I could be wrong but I believe A-B currently only pays every 60 days. So its not they they we timely to begin with.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 05-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Keim
Recipes 

60 days is not outside the business norm. Double that is. And it IS wrong. Essentially what they are doing is taking an interest free loan.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

InBev is a huge corporation and is flexing its muscles. Not very nice, but what can you do? Most of us already don't buy their products. And that's really all most of us can do.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't forget that ABInbev sells a lot of beer that is not just domestic light lager, such as:
Bass, Boddingtons, Bohemia, Czechvar, Franziskaner, Löwenbräu, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Kirin Ichiban, Spaten, Stella Artois, Tiger, Whitbread.

If you want to protest ABInbev, be sure to leave these off your list too.

Last edited by Beerrific; 05-06-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
Don't forget that ABInbev sells a lot of beer that is not domestic just light lager, such as:
Bass, Boddingtons, Bohemia, Czechvar, Franziskaner, Löwenbräu, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Kirin Ichiban, Spaten, Stella Artois, Tiger, Whitbread.

If you want to protest ABInbev, be sure to leave these off your list too.
Done and done.

Quick Reply