Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Another Mr. Beer kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Countryboy73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I as well got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. I waited till Jan 1st to start so I could kick off the new year with my 1st brew. I noticed a few days ago there was some stuff suspended in the middle, today I noticed it was rising. Is this normal? I've also noticed its clear on the ends and cloudy in the middle. I'm thinking about waiting till around the 21st before bottling unless it clears up before then. I can't wait, the smell of it is driving me crazy. This kit is my first brew. I'm thinking about getting a couple more kits of various kinds just to see what I like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats and good luck on each and every brew after this successful one.

Most will say that 3 weeks in the fermenter will only improve your beer. Let it ride my friend

Toy4Rick

If I can't ride it... 1997 Goldwing
If I can't shoot it... PX4 Storm, Browning Buckmark, S&W 357, Ruger 10-22
or drink it... my Homebrew

Why bother

Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Will do. Thanks. I was thinking about tasting it just to see if it is ready or not, but I'm going to let it sit.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What you called "rising" is just part of the fermentation process. By the way you won't be able to tell if it is ready by tasting it, not to mention it isn't even carbonated yet. Get yourself a hydrometer, that way you will know if it is ready.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 47

As yeast produces CO2, it will push its way to the top past the yeast that is beginning to flocculate. It will kick up these yeast clusters that are slowly parachuting their way to the bottom, causing some of it to rise. It's all part of the show! That's why I like using transparent vessels to ferment in; you can watch everything as it happens.

Also there's no problem in tasting it as you go along, just make sure that you sanitize everything. Tasting is also part of the fun!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I heard that you can taste it as you go, if it has a sweet taste then it's still fermenting and if it tastes like flat beer then it's ready or very close to being ready. I'm assuming the fermentation is taking its time cause of the slow activity, but I'm sure the temp in my house is causing that. I live in a '60's model trailer with no central ac/heat and it doesn't stay warm in cool weather.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Well today there was nothing floating in it. The other day I tasted it and I was worried about it but today I tasted it again and it tastes good. I'll be bottling it tomorrow. The next week to 2 weeks will drive me nuts waiting for it to carb and condition more.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Countryboy73
Recipes 

When brewing what is a good way to keep the temp of your brew at a steady temp. The temp in my trailer varies big time. The temp of my brew got cool but I don't know how cool.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Countryboy73
Recipes 

After you bottle your brew can you reuse the yeast. I'm just wondering, that's all.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 125

You can reuse yeast that has come from a bottle, people harvest yeast from some commercial beers and build it up with starters all the time. It may not be the healthiest yeast, though.
I know many use conventional homebrewing ingredients like yeast packets and malt extract (scaled to 2 gallon size for Mr. Beer), so you could always go to a homebrew store and buy packets of dry yeast and use them for different styles.
As far as keeping the temperature more consistent... search the forums here and you may get some ideas. For a Mr. Beer, though, not all will work. Some people use a part of their house that doesn't change temperature much through the day, or use a water bath with an aquarium heater to avoid chilling. Another option might be to use an insulated box of some sort to maintain warmth once the keg is at 65ish or so.
I hope it turns out well.

Quick Reply