Another brewing accident.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
I am already just going to go ahead and say: RDWHAHB... I mean, hey, worrying doesn't change anything so HAKUNA MATATA. Maybe if this crap turns out, I'll name the beer after the lion king.. lol..

So here's what happened..Just finished the boil... Did a 4 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch.. Had nearly frozen top off water to attempt to bring the wort temp down to a pitchable temperature. Didn't happen. So here I am with 130 degree wort cooling in an ice bath in my sink. Then I realize my fridge water is filtered as well as the ice in it. So I try to just put a little ice in the bucket. While I'm doing it, the bowl slips out of my hand and all the way to the bottom of the bucket! Haha. (The inside of the bowl was Sanitized but not the outside and certainly not my arm.)

After fishing it out, I had a good laugh and a quick "awww crap" moment... But hey, shizzle happens. Fingers crossed for a decent brew.. lol

Oh, and a quick finishing edit...

My freezer ran out of ice, so I was forced to either let it cool overnight, or just say to hell with it, and pitch! Being the impatient turd that I am, I think we can all guess what I did. My thermy was reading somewhere around the high 90 degree range. Haha. I pitched Nottingham's simple 11g dry yeast packet. (Rehydrated in 90 deg water)

I think my bigger problem is in my inability to get the temps down post-pitch as I am out of ice. I usually have the fermenter in a rubbermaid of icewater to control temps but that's not in the cards right now.

Rut Row Shaggy... Pray to the beer gods for this one!

You should be fine. Yeast is in the growth phase at this point. As long as you didn't pitch around 120 degrees you didn't kill them. Get the temp down as quick as possible to fermentation range. I don't know what to tell you about the bowl and your arm. You might find that this turns out to be one of your best homebrews.

Latest posts

Back