Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anheuser Busch and their deceptive marketing
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #41
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6346 Times on 5493 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentGrains View Post
I'm glad people like OP are passionate about beer, without people like him there would be no craft beer, no beer movement. Hell if we all loved light lager so much when why are we homebrewing everything but?
Light lager won Best of Show at 2102 NHC. The largest homebrew competition in the world, with the best judges in the world. Lots of people are brewing light lagers.

The reason I don't brew light lagers is because it's hard to do, and exceptional quality commercial versions of the style are readily available and pretty cheap. To get my light lager fix, I'm not gonna bother attempting to brew one.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #42
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew View Post
I wouldn't be caught dead eating McD's but if you handed me a free bud I would drink the h@@@ out of it.. Difference is I love beer, but I'm not going to poison myself with some cr@ppy tasting burger or whatever. Would I buy bud.. no but I'm not going to turn a free one down.
OKAY. I think you missed my point.

And for the record if you handed me a free MCD burger I would eat the hell out of it, two if you had em.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #43
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
OKAY. I think you missed my point.

And for the record if you handed me a free MCD burger I would eat the hell out of it, two if you had em.
I think you missed the point out of my post... bud might not be the best beer in the world but it is a consistant product that isn't going to kill you... Drinking a few buds a day is just as healthy as drinking a few any other beers a day... but if you eat that Poison they serve a McD's every day you will most likely suffer hardcore health problems within a few years if not sooner..

Bud might not be the beer of choice but it is what it is.. At least you never hear about getting a bad/disappointing case of bud if thats what you want, but I have bought cases of craft beer, specifically nugget nectar last year that were well below the quality I was used to/expecting
Kegged empty

Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #44
Hulud
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew
I wouldn't be caught dead eating McD's but if you handed me a free bud I would drink the h@@@ out of it.. Difference is I love beer, but I'm not going to poison myself with some cr@ppy tasting burger or whatever. Would I buy bud.. no but I'm not going to turn a free one down.
Poison is poison, it's all about what poison you prefer at the moment

Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #45
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
I think you missed the point out of my post... bud might not be the best beer in the world but it is a consistant product that isn't going to kill you... Drinking a few buds a day is just as healthy as drinking a few any other beers a day... but if you eat that Poison they serve a McD's every day you will most likely suffer hardcore health problems within a few years if not sooner..

Bud might not be the beer of choice but it is what it is.. At least you never hear about getting a bad/disappointing case of bud if thats what you want, but I have bought cases of craft beer, specifically nugget nectar last year that were well below the quality I was used to/expecting
You have more than proven my point: that what the masses consume the most isn't "the best." Beer or hamburgers or anything else.

Also, since we are going way off topic here your reasoning is flawed. You compare beer to beer, but compare burgers to... eating nothing. If you eat ANY MEAL in excess calories every day you will suffer health problems, half of America has already proven that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulud View Post
Poison is poison, it's all about what poison you prefer at the moment
Yup, moderation is key, but we all die in the end.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #46
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
You have more than proven my point: that what the masses consume the most isn't "the best." Beer or hamburgers or anything else.

Also, since we are going way off topic here your reasoning is flawed. You compare beer to beer, but compare burgers to... eating nothing. If you eat ANY MEAL in excess calories every day you will suffer health problems, half of America has already proven that...

Yup, moderation is key, but we all die in the end.
Thats not the point at all.. not all calories are equal, what McD's does to the food WILL kill you even if you eat a "normal caloric diet" Have you ever just left McD's food out without putting it in the refridge or wrapping it up... It doesn't decay... for years...
Kegged empty

Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #47
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:

Thats not the point at all.. not all calories are equal, what McD's does to the food WILL kill you even if you eat a "normal caloric diet" Have you ever just left McD's food out without putting it in the refridge or wrapping it up... It doesn't decay... for years...
Neither do homemade burgers:
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...g-results.html

Or honey.

"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #48
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

I'm not here to defend bud and their conglomerate but you are here acting as if they are the enemy forcing people to do everything AHB wants, yet they are providing a service that people want. Yes, they are after a profit and are delivering a very limited product to the massed, but the masses are gracefully accepting what they offer, their loss. If you don't like it you don't have to stick it to a salesman just trying to make a living; just drink his free beer and buy the good $hizzle

Kegged empty

Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #49
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Black Crown is one of the Project 12 beers, right? Have you tried the sampler? They're pretty good. They have a vanilla oaked on in there that's pretty tasty. Actually all three of the winners were worth trying. It's actually nice to see AHB doing something geared more to us craft beer drinkers.
Some guys from my brew club had a "raid the cellar" beer tasting today. Vertical 2009->2012 Black Tuesday, vertical 2010-2012 Parabola, Cantillon gueuze, Sucuba, a 2006->2008 vertical of the Trader Joe's "Vintage Ale", and a few other choice bottles.

Partly as a joke (i.e. "I'm bringing something I'm pretty sure *none* of you have tasted!") and partly because I honestly wanted to try it, I brought Black Crown. The general response was along the lines of "yeah, it's pretty good, definitely a lot more flavor than standard Bud, and not a bad beer." (Interestingly, shortly thereafter a couple beer geeks who aren't homebrewers showed up, and acted all elitist about it. I thought it interesting that the brewers had a completely different take on it than the non-brewers.) Then we went back to the heavy hitters.

What was interesting is what happened when the guy who organized the event pulled out lunch. He cooks, so he made a nice spicy dry-rubbed pulled pork, cole slaw, and from-scratch rolls. Nice spread. You know what question I got?

"Hey Brad, where's the rest of that Black Crown?"

It paired perfectly with lunch. Far better than cracking a bottle of Black Tuesday!

It's a good beer. It's not as flavorful as much of what I drink on a daily basis, so it's something that would be more likely for me to drink at an airport bar than actually buy more of for home, but it's still a good beer.

I posted up a quick review on Google+ today:

Quote:
I've actually been wanting to try this for a bit. I'd heard good reviews from people whose opinion I trust on beer, and I try not to be a hater and let the source poison my opinion.

This isn't an exciting beer. But much like Bud's [now-defunct] American Ale, it's very well executed and it's a technically solid offering. And, in my opinion, it's a cut above their usual offerings, flavor-wise. There's an actual malt presence!

When evaluating beers like this, there are better craft lagers available and I generally look for more flavor in the store. So the question is where this falls in my "macro-lager airport beer" list. I'd probably take this over a Stella or a Boston Lager. It would fall behind something like an Amber Bock (which aren't common in airports anyway). So if Bud starts pushing this out to a lot of tap handles, I might have it again. If it remains a store shelf beer, not so much.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #50
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

I'm going to a beer tasting next saturday and from this thread alone I may just buy a 6er of this beer and take the time to remove any labels from that beer just to see what happens. if it's possible to remove anything that identifies it

Kegged empty

Closed Thread

Quick Reply