Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anheuser Busch and their deceptive marketing
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #121
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
Dude, seriously, if u read my posts, i clearly state that i don't have a problem with people who drink BMC, I DON'T HAVE A CLOSE MINDED ATTITUDE towards those people. If people like BMC, drink it, good, be happy. I'm not telling you to drink craft beer. My entire freaking point was, I DID take the high road, I said no when he asked me if i wanted to sample it. But the rep was the one being pushy about it. And i don't like these corporations feeding lies to the public like "we're in alliance with the craft brewers" when that's not true. "Turn my nose up?" no, i just walked away and went about my business, i didn't care to get in some pointless argument that would have no conclusion. The fact is I don't support In-Bev anymore in any way. That's my choice, i'm not being a snob. Why r u calling me out for having my opinion about them? It's not about their beer, it's about their platform; i enjoy being a customer, not just a demographic. Many of these craft brewers started off homebrewing in their garages just like us and they get off on people actually enjoying their beer, and so do i, i connect with that.
Well in your first post you said

Quote:
Maybe I should've just plainly said no, but instead i said "no, i don't support Anheuser Busch products".....so instead of just realizing that i obviously know more than the average consumer, he further's the matter by saying "why?". ok, so whatever, i was honest, i said "b/c they're trying to kill craft brews" s
And went on telling the guy that pretty much the world is going to end because of inbev.

Far be it from a SALESMAN to try and earn a living. I just bet the other SALESMEN there from the sainted craft brews were not trying to make money for the company and perhaps topple the evil empire known to be inbev.

To be fair I have heard flat out BS from both sides of the argument. Everything from union bashing to false claims of hostile take overs just to shut down a brew.

If just for a moment you think any beer company has any other idea in their heads other than to try and separate you from your money then you are misguided at best and delusional at worst. Only difference between inbev and the little guy is no one pays attention to the little guy so his claims can be ignored. While every word inbev utters gets run by a bevy of lawyers and looked at for a potential law suit.

Sit down and relax and have a beer from your favorite small brewery before they fulfill their dreams and become as big as inbev. While you are enjoying said brew remember it is just beer not a family member being offered up for sacrifice. Same goes for everyone for petes sake. It is just beer
__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #122
moffatt163
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm glad Ken Grossman, Jim Koch, Sam Calgione and others aren't worried about growing their businesses and making money, and instead haven't expanded their operations at all and also sell their beer at a loss because they don't care about the bottom line.

If In-Bev is trying to destroy craft breweries, they're doing it wrong. Craft breweries are at an all time high in this country.
Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head, and Samuel Adams are companies with HUGE growth and expansion and are some of the largest American brewing companies. They care about growing and expanding, and they definitely don't sell their beer at a loss, but the difference is they are passionate about tradition, flavor, and style. They don't cut corners and they produce some of the best beer in the country because that's their mission. They will never be AB and they don't want to but everyone wants to make a living.
__________________
moffatt163 is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #123
Nightshade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 1,421
Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffatt163 View Post
Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head, and Samuel Adams are companies with HUGE growth and expansion and are some of the largest American brewing companies. They care about growing and expanding, and they definitely don't sell their beer at a loss, but the difference is they are passionate about tradition, flavor, and style. They don't cut corners and they produce some of the best beer in the country because that's their mission. They will never be AB and they don't want to but everyone wants to make a living.
Couple things stand out here as patently fallacious, mainly that they don't cut corners as every comlanies goal is to cut every corner they can get away with. You bet they shop grain, hop annd yeast prices and buy the least expensive they can and get away with. They bring a lot of the process in house because it lowers the cost of production in the end, paying a monkey $10 an hour to mill grain nets them x amount in savings and same goes for other processes.

I am not saying they use fillers in place of actual grains but if they can find a way to do it and provide the same flavor don't think for a minute they wouldn't or won't do it.
__________________

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Nightshade is offline
Varmintman Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #124
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wash, DC
Posts: 1,236
Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default

I just think it's ironic that the AB defenders jump in as a group to essentially claim that AB doesn't need defending. And after the fistful of good arguments is made (punched), this herd goes on to attack the snobby, ignorant, ill-willed perpetrator.

Personally, I only like about 6 or so breweries, none of which are owned by inBev.

I don't trust inBev to make beer worth buying, and I don't trust the majority of craft brewers to make beer worth buying. I guess that makes me a real snob, truly ignorant to the point of blasphemy (one of you actually said I don't deserve to drink beer!) --however it works for me. What a wonderful world of beer we live in!

The problem about deception in "deceptive marketing" is that it's redundant.

__________________
To wine-drinking they are very much given, and it is not permitted for a man to vomit or to make water in presence of another. --Heredotus, on the subject of Persians
iambeer is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #125
phenry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,220
Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

So just by skimming the first four or so lines of the original post, I'm pretty sure I can safely say: repost



This is a topic that's been beaten to death, reincarnated, beaten to death again, scraped back together and reanimated, then beaten to death a third time.

__________________
phenry is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #126
McMalty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lisbon, Maryland
Posts: 627
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Couple things stand out here as patently fallacious, mainly that they don't cut corners as every comlanies goal is to cut every corner they can get away with. You bet they shop grain, hop annd yeast prices and buy the least expensive they can and get away with. They bring a lot of the process in house because it lowers the cost of production in the end, paying a monkey $10 an hour to mill grain nets them x amount in savings and same goes for other processes.

I am not saying they use fillers in place of actual grains but if they can find a way to do it and provide the same flavor don't think for a minute they wouldn't or won't do it.
I think Nightshade's point was more so that those brewers have the intent of brewing quality over quantity, which I pretty much agree with. A lot of people do not like their beer, but they keep making it because its good quality beer and they win people over everyday.
__________________

"Life's short. Drink a lot of beer." -Randolph McMalty

"I don't care too much for BMC" -Abraham Lincoln

McMalty is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 AM   #127
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,103
Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
Listen folks, I'm the OP, and i want to apologize if I offended anyone. During my original post i was worked up and rambling. I'm not against corporations, or capitalism, or people just doing their jobs, or the freedom to drink what u like and not be judged. I simply feel like the AB rep was antagonizing me a bit and my personal opinion is that BMC would love nothing more than for the craft bubble to burst so that they don't have to compete with craft. I'm not a beer snob, i do however refuse support certain corporations for various reasons that i don't feel like getting into again. I truly don't like their beer and it this point in my life, it's not worth it for me to waste my time drinking something I don't like. But the original point I was trying to make was regarding what i believe to be deceptive marketing practices by BMC and how that they trickle down to the lowest level of their employees.
I missed this post...Sorry and no worries
__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #128
bobbrewedit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: , California
Posts: 296
Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I tend to believe that people tend to cast their values onto others in order to be okay with themselves. People feel better about their own greed and drive to make a buck when they say things like "small craft breweries are only in it for the money, just like BMC"

This statement is effing lame. Look at the knowledge and time the smaller brewers take to share what they know with homebrewers. I don't buy for one second that all these guys care about is a buck...I tend to believe they appreciate their consumers and go out of their way to make a product they can truly be proud of. But then, that may be me just casting my beliefs on others because its what makes sense to me.

To those of you who believe in looking out for the little guy and protecting American workers/companies, more power to you...to the rest...good luck to you.

__________________
bobbrewedit is offline
McMalty Likes This 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #129
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,923
Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalty View Post
Dude, seriously, if u read my posts, i clearly state that i don't have a problem with people who drink BMC, I DON'T HAVE A CLOSE MINDED ATTITUDE towards those people. If people like BMC, drink it, good, be happy. I'm not telling you to drink craft beer. My entire freaking point was, I DID take the high road, I said no when he asked me if i wanted to sample it. But the rep was the one being pushy about it. And i don't like these corporations feeding lies to the public like "we're in alliance with the craft brewers" when that's not true. "Turn my nose up?" no, i just walked away and went about my business, i didn't care to get in some pointless argument that would have no conclusion. The fact is I don't support In-Bev anymore in any way. That's my choice, i'm not being a snob. Why r u calling me out for having my opinion about them? It's not about their beer, it's about their platform; i enjoy being a customer, not just a demographic. Many of these craft brewers started off homebrewing in their garages just like us and they get off on people actually enjoying their beer, and so do i, i connect with that.
I think the best solution would have been to try the beer with an open mind. Ask the rep questions about the beer (yeast, hops, malt, etc.) Make him do his job!! I guarantee you anyone who is pushing a local craft beer can tell you all about the beer and brewing process. After a critical tasting tell him your opinions....and don't pull any punches. If it sucked tell him exactly why. Right now it sounds like it sucked because of who brewed it and that's just dumb!!
__________________

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Phunhog is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #130
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,923
Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post
I tend to believe that people tend to cast their values onto others in order to be okay with themselves. People feel better about their own greed and drive to make a buck when they say things like "small craft breweries are only in it for the money, just like BMC"

This statement is effing lame. Look at the knowledge and time the smaller brewers take to share what they know with homebrewers. I don't buy for one second that all these guys care about is a buck...I tend to believe they appreciate their consumers and go out of their way to make a product they can truly be proud of. But then, that may be me just casting my beliefs on others because its what makes sense to me.

To those of you who believe in looking out for the little guy and protecting American workers/companies, more power to you...to the rest...good luck to you.
Whether you like it or not BMC has contributed in a HUGE way to the field of brewing science. This of course has greatly benefited the craft beer industry. So you can say that in a way BMC has shared and is sharing their knowledge with smaller brewers.
__________________

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Phunhog is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working for Anheuser-Busch? BobTheAverage General Beer Discussion 15 05-30-2012 04:08 PM
Anheuser Busch ... JMD87 General Beer Discussion 55 07-15-2008 04:27 PM
Anheuser Busch might be selling out. Ryanh1801 Commercial Brew Discussion 32 07-14-2008 02:19 PM
Anheuser Busch commercials ohiobrewtus General Beer Discussion 42 01-08-2008 10:55 PM
Something good about Anheuser Busch Nate Commercial Brew Discussion 4 11-26-2006 01:49 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS