The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anheuser Busch commercials

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Anheuser Busch commercials

I'm sure you have all seen the latest round of AB commercials touting what a great beer the "Great American Lager' is.

I saw one last night that just plain ticked me off. They've got that goofy looking dude walking around a bar full of perfect people and he says something like "...dark and cloudy beers hide imperfections, this beer doesn't".

Then he proceeds to babble on about how perfect AB is and how their light american lager is the perfect beer.

AB must be starting to feel some pressure from micros. These commercials are basically saying 'if a beer doesn't look like Bud/Bud Light, then it has flaws, whereas our beer has no flaws'.

Obviously they felt they needed to spend some of their advertising dollars telling people how much other beer sucks instead of creating a new series of commercials revolving around a talking porcupine or some other woodlands creature.

Then there's the craptastic offerings that they're putting out under the Michelob line. My guess is that 80% of AB guzzlers don't know that Michelob is an AB brand. They then go to try something 'different' and they choose the Michelob porter over a solid micro because it's $3 or $4 less for a 6'er. Of course the Michelob beer tastes like crap, so then they go back to guzzling swill.

end rant

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I give AB credit for consistantly pumping out Light Lager. I do agree that their style is less forgiving than others, but I disagree that dark means forgiving. They've just resorted to Micro/Craft bashing now. How about the Coors commercial with the song about how everything is changing but how the singer is sticking with his good ole swill...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, they suck. What's funny is that they've been buying micro-breweries for a while now. They're basically the Microsoft of the brewing world... except you don't have to reboot their beer every day.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Or the Budwieser Select commercials (specificly the radio one's) where they say 1 guy orders a beer for it's quality and depth (or whatever) and another guy orders a beer because it's less filling...but do you know what these two guys have in common? It's the same beer

I hate that crap! Trying to make bud select to be some craft brew contender? WTF? Then they say it's go 0g of Fat!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, they've spent the last 50 years marketing themselves into a corner, so now they just have to keep on convincing people that that swill is what Beer really IS (just listen to the jingle on their radio spots "This is Budweiser, This is Beer". Honestly, I don't know how those brewers live with themselves.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
Honestly, I don't know how those brewers live with themselves.
I guess they're just concerned with getting paid for their PhD's. I agree though, I couldn't do it. There's no creativity and little hands-on work. I'd go insane...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Now, as stupid as those commercials are, you gotta take back the "goofy dude" statement. Rob Riggle is a Daily Show contributor and is really funny. He used to be in the armed forces and actually traveled to Iraq to do real reports for TDS, which was a first for the show, which usually does greenscreen stuff (it's a comedy show, so...)

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Now, as stupid as those commercials are, you gotta take back the "goofy dude" statement. Rob Riggle is a Daily Show contributor and is really funny. He used to be in the armed forces and actually traveled to Iraq to do real reports for TDS, which was a first for the show, which usually does greenscreen stuff (it's a comedy show, so...)
Funny = goofy, just like corn syrup = a d j u n c t - so what's the problem?

Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I was trying to get a screen shot of that brewing diagram, but I haven't seen that segment in awhile.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Like everyone else in the known universe by now, I've seen that commercial. He doesn't say anything false, and I actually thought it was somewhat fair. He's absolutely right that brewing that sort of beer is very difficult for exactly the reasons he described, and the implication that "dark, cloudy beers" are flawed is not something AB thought up. I can't tell you how many times I've advised an aspiring brewer to start with an IPA, hefeweizen, or stout "because it can hide some flaws that a pilsner wouldn't." As much as I despise many of AB's practices, I'm not jumping on the crucifiction bandwagon this time.

I don't know about the rest of that series, though. They're getting a little iffy, and I'm not just saying that to keep lightening from striking me when I go outside.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply