Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anheuser Busch ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #31
Cugel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I posted it last week, only in my version with the Arthur Guiness, not the president of Pauliner.
+1 on that. It's been around for at least a decade and has always been Guinness!

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #32
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the amount of Americans who don't like beer at all because they think that BMC IS beer. I know many people like this. I'm not saying whether or not it was intentional, but to the average American, BMC has reduced the definition of beer to their beers... and if someone who doesn't know beer drinks a BMC product and doesn't like it, they think they don't like beer at all. That, my friends, is a crying shame!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #33
rcb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the amount of Americans who don't like beer at all because they think that BMC IS beer. I know many people like this. I'm not saying whether or not it was intentional, but to the average American, BMC has reduced the definition of beer to their beers... and if someone who doesn't know beer drinks a BMC product and doesn't like it, they think they don't like beer at all. That, my friends, is a crying shame!
+1 on that. I know a bunch of people who don't drink beer because the only beer they know is BMC or one of the many other sub-par beers. I usually try to get theses people to try my brews and the response is overwhelmingly in favor of my stuff. It's a shame that so many have made their drinking choices based on the actions of a few misguided brewers.

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #34
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm just happy that ButWiper is starting to bottle in 7 oz bottles. I hate that I have to drink them, but the bottles are absolutely the perfect fit for SWMBO. I try and do a 6 pack of 7 oz bottles from every batch for her.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #35
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Funny, I know some people who have only had Heiniken all their lives. Every time I go to the store I look for something I haven't tried yet. For example every so often I pick up a six pack of Hoeegarden, but I also like Natural Lite because it is lite. But to me it all depends on your mood, the conditions, etc. and your capacity for alcohol before getting drunk. I don't like to get too drunk (like when I was in my 20's) so if I want to stay up all night listening to music I'd go with the NL. If after a long day at work I just want to relax and go to bed I may pick the Hoeegarden. Two totally differnet tastes but I enjoy both. There is also the $$ perspective for some people.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #36
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Good chance inBev is going to buy out Bud. I guess Anheuser's market share is starting to shrink as more people are drinking micro, imports and wine. InBev (formerly known as interbrew) makes a good portion of the imports and wth it's 20% market share makes more money than Anheuser with it's 50% market share.

It will probably be a good thing. While inBev mainstreamed slightly some of the imports over the years, they will likely release a number of Euorpean style beers thorugh the Anheuser breweries if this take over goes through.

I just hope their combined marleting power doesn't start to hit the micros in the pocket. Inbev's contract to brew/market Bud in Canada in 98 turned bud from last to first place in number of beers sold in Canada.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #37
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I do not have a problem with A-B and the other majors' products. They make those beers, and if folks want to drink them, more power to everyone involved.

My problem with the majors, and especially with A-B, is the way they run their businesses. First of all, their marketing is despicable. It's two-faced. They tell you about how difficult it is to brew something like a Budweiser and strongly imply that darker beer is flawed. Then, they turn around and market dark beers under a different label. That's just one example. Yes, of course they want to make money and sell beer, but now that is little more than rationalization for selling their collective soul. It's not much better than some shyster on a street corner or informercial.

More than that, though, I detest their eliminate competition. They (and I mean all the majors) have tried to work like some sort of cabal to eliminate any other players. They lobby like hell to keep certain laws in place and to change others to that purpose. A-B successfully did everything they could to keep brewpubs out of Texas until they wanted to open one at Sea World in San Antonio. Even then, they monkeyed the law so that A-B could be the only fairly large brewery who could own a brewpub. Again, that is just one example.

I know they have a right to do it (in most cases - see the link regarding the antitrust case, above). Yes, they have muscle, and they use it to their advantage. I'm not talking about what is legal, though. I am talking about what is right. A-B and the other majors are not just trying to beat the competition, they are trying to eliminate competition, and they try to do so in a number of underhanded, despicable ways. They lack integrity.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #38
Aubie Stout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
I do not have a problem with A-B and the other majors' products. They make those beers, and if folks want to drink them, more power to everyone involved.

My problem with the majors, and especially with A-B, is the way they run their businesses. First of all, their marketing is despicable. It's two-faced. They tell you about how difficult it is to brew something like a Budweiser and strongly imply that darker beer is flawed. Then, they turn around and market dark beers under a different label. That's just one example. Yes, of course they want to make money and sell beer, but now that is little more than rationalization for selling their collective soul. It's not much better than some shyster on a street corner or informercial.

More than that, though, I detest their eliminate competition. They (and I mean all the majors) have tried to work like some sort of cabal to eliminate any other players. They lobby like hell to keep certain laws in place and to change others to that purpose. A-B successfully did everything they could to keep brewpubs out of Texas until they wanted to open one at Sea World in San Antonio. Even then, they monkeyed the law so that A-B could be the only fairly large brewery who could own a brewpub. Again, that is just one example.

I know they have a right to do it (in most cases - see the link regarding the antitrust case, above). Yes, they have muscle, and they use it to their advantage. I'm not talking about what is legal, though. I am talking about what is right. A-B and the other majors are not just trying to beat the competition, they are trying to eliminate competition, and they try to do so in a number of underhanded, despicable ways. They lack integrity.

TL
That about sums it up. The Youtube video on the Alabama situation is correct. The A-B guys are doing everything they can to keep the state laws from changing.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #39
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
This was me to a T! I hated beer cause I assumed all beer tasted like BMC. Then someone introduced me to Killian's (I know it's made by Coors) and I thought, "well, if beer is the only thing being served than this will have to do. " Then it progressed to Sam Adams and then I found out that there is a store that sells all types of beer that I had never heard of.

Now I brew my own and like beer more than I like mixed drinks. There are many people that know me who can't believe this change has come over me. I have probably had 3 liquor drinks since Xmas.

Prim 1: Ogre's Inverted Extra Red Ale
Prim 2: Ogre's Hair of the Dog Imperial Amber Ale
Prim 3: Ogre's Relaxed APA
Sec 1: Honey Blonde Ale with Hefe Yeast
Sec 2: Scotch Wee Heavy
Sec 3: Ogre's Simple Mead
Keg 1: Ogre's Brown Ale
Keg 2: Ogre's Extra Red Ale

Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #40
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Nail, head, hit.....An excellent post!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Quick Reply