Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anheuser Busch ...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #11
Professor Frink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog View Post
My issue has more to do with their marketing than anything else. Several people have stated that Budweiser is just making the beer that people want to drink; this isn't necessarily true. AB spends millions of dollars convincing people that the product they sell is what beer should taste like and that dark beers are actually bad. It's not that I am angry, it's just frustrating that I can't find a decent beer to drink when I'm out in public because AB has fast-talked everyone into drinking their product.
This is true, but you're not going to get people to become less impressionable to that type of influence. If AB didn't convince them, someone else would. If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be millions of dollars spent every year on beer commercials that have nothing to do with beer. Most people are sheep - I say let them be sheep. However, it is pretty pathetic when you go to a bar and all they have is BMC because of the marketing machine.
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
JMD87
Recipes 

Quote:
My issue has more to do with their marketing than anything else. Several people have stated that Budweiser is just making the beer that people want to drink; this isn't necessarily true. AB spends millions of dollars convincing people that the product they sell is what beer should taste like and that dark beers are actually bad. It's not that I am angry, it's just frustrating that I can't find a decent beer to drink when I'm out in public because AB has fast-talked everyone into drinking their product.
I understand your point, however I have a different opinion on how marketing works. I believe they spend the millions of dollars to make their product known to the public, and then the public decides if they like it or not. You can't really argue that millions of american's are brainwashed to believe that this is the beer they like.

"You can take the donkey to the water, but you cannot force the donkey to drink the water"
Bottle Conditioning- Marzen
Drinking- Amarillo Pale,Oatmeal Stout
On Deck - Porter, Helles

Old 06-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Shaggy
Recipes 

Its all just opinion with personal taste and preference.
My Dad is a hardcore Bud Light drinker and is not into anything else.
Who am I to say he is wrong? I care less that our tastes differ. It just opinion.
In the end, its all beer and thats a good thing to me.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
Matt Foley
Recipes 

I have to agree that there is nothing wrong with A-B and they do what they do very well. There is a right time and place for their product. Yesterday working in the hot sun I took the ice cold can of bud light over my heavy home brewed stout. My wife loves Mich Ultra and, I must admit, that is a decent very light lager. Mich Ultra has now put out some fruit infused beer. I don't care for them, but the wife sure likes em. I am a firm believer that there is no bad beer, just some are better than others.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #16
Rezilynt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I have to agree that there is nothing wrong with A-B and they do what they do very well. There is a right time and place for their product.
I agree. I, for one, am glad AB is and was around.

I think some of us forget that without large brew companies like AB, we wouldn't have started drinking beer. Remember back in the day when we had to walk 5 miles barefoot, in snow, to get to the beer store? We would finally arrive, after almost dying from hypothermia, and we would take 10 minutes to decide which beer we wanted - out of the 5 choices we had. Did I mention the fact that they weren't in coolers either.

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
Cugel
Recipes 

Quote:
it's just frustrating that I can't find a decent beer to drink when I'm out in public
I'm with you on that. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the fancy restaurants where they have $100-500 wines and $25-$50 whiskey shots, and then B or M or C as their beer (if you're so bold as to ask and have a waiter look down his/her nose at you).

W T F ????????????

I just don't get it. Surely they could make more profit from selling the craft beers then from BMC. They probably sell just what people want.

Relax, don't worry etc. and so on.

Primaries: Old Ale, Barleywine, ESB, Scottish 80/.
Secondaries: Lime Wine, Strawberry-Banana Mead, Carmenere (from 144 lbs of grapes!), Engl. Barleywine, Modded JOAM, Concord Grape Pyment.
Kegs: Choc/Coffee Stout, Saison, Dry Stout.
Bottles: Belgian Str. Dark, Dubbel, Cider X 2, Modded JOAM, RJS Pinot Noir, RJS Aussie Cab. Sauv.
Coming soon: Blueberry Mead.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
JMD87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
I'm with you on that. I cannot understand the reasoning behind the fancy restaurants where they have $100-500 wines and $25-$50 whiskey shots, and then B or M or C as their beer (if you're so bold as to ask and have a waiter look down his/her nose at you).
That's a great point. I blame American culture more than anything though. It seems like if you go to any decent restaurant, the "best" beer you can get is a Sam Adam's or Stella. Don't get me wrong, I like the said beer's, but I'm sure it's nothing like dining in Germany and having a 'real' beer with dinner.

At least some places are making an attempt at delivering good beer. Has anyone in the Boston area been to the Publik House on Beacon Street? 120+ beers on tap, great food... this is what we need more of.
Bottle Conditioning- Marzen
Drinking- Amarillo Pale,Oatmeal Stout
On Deck - Porter, Helles

Old 06-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
Brewin_Bob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD87 View Post
Has anyone in the Boston area been to the Publik House on Beacon Street? 120+ beers on tap, great food... this is what we need more of.
Or even The Flying Saucer in downtown Houston. They serve a number of beers from around the world.

My brother currently works for AB up north. I like to give him a hard time for their 40oz. product "promoting and assisting in the downfall of urban environments".

As for the company itself, I compare it to the likes of Starbucks ($h!tsux, i call it). Starbucks has a great portion of the American populace swearing that a cup of coffee-flavored sugar water with whipped cream and chocolate and/or caramel drizzled (yes, drizzled) on top is how coffee is meant to be. These, in my opinion, are the same people that would go to Italy on vacation, try the coffee there and decide immediately that the cafe did something wrong. It's not the coffee, it's our perception. Same with BMC. It's not the beer, it's the perception. Those that have been "enlightened" can look back and say "I can't believe I used to drink that".

I think as a goal of home/craft brewers, we should work towards "enlightening" others so that they might see what they are missing out on. If enough of the populace's perception changes in favor of "real" beer, then corporations like AB would, more or less, be forced to adjust their business model.

-- Kings Full Brewery --
-- Currently Being Remodeled --

Primary:None
Secondary:None
Conditioning:Lemstrac Wine, first mead
Bottled:None

Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #20
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lived in Germany for 9 years and have visted almost all the countries over there...and learned along the way what REAL beer is supposed to taste like.

The Budweiser recipe came from Ceske Budejovice (Budweis in German) and tastes nothing like the American version.

I would like to think that when it first came over it was exactly like it...something along the lines of ordering steak and getting a burger.....makes me wish the original Augie came back to life to kick Jr's butt for making crap...

As a corporation they are #1 at separating the consumer from their money...

As a homebrewer whenever I hear "The King of Beers" I think Gambrinus!!

Quick Reply