Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Angry at home brew store owner!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
lewishowardm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default Angry at home brew store owner!

Hay people. Just a little thing here. I went into my local home brew shop here in England and I over herd a convocation between two noobies and the hbs owner. They wanted to get into brewing and wanted to know more about the all grain process, the owner then began to tell the noobs that all grain takes 7 hours. It seemed like he was putting them off all grain. Do you think he was doing this just to make more money as extract is more expensive ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2307 Times on 2008 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Partial mash didn't take me that long my 1st time. Maybe he thought they should get their feet wet first?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Probably doing them a favor... Let them get processes down and learn about the basics before they dive into all grain, which could be overwhelming for a new home brewer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishowardm3 View Post
Hay people. Just a little thing here. I went into my local home brew shop here in England and I over herd a convocation between two noobies and the hbs owner. They wanted to get into brewing and wanted to know more about the all grain process, the owner then began to tell the noobs that all grain takes 7 hours. It seemed like he was putting them off all grain. Do you think he was doing this just to make more money as extract is more expensive ?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I actually think it's ignorance. If the shop owner isn't an accomplished AG brewer, it can be very intimidating and so he probably believes it takes that long and is very difficult. Sometime you should ask him how many AG batches he does a month- I bet it's 0.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
neosapien Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I think the owner didn't want them to jump straight into all grain. He just wanted them to get the extract process down before doing the mashing and all that stuff.

The owner might take 7 hours to do a batch. He shouldn't have tried to steer them away from all grain because of time, but more because of difficulty level.

Like Yooper was saying, the owner might not even do all grain. Maybe with his discounted price for extract that's just what he has time for.

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

If you haven't brewed before, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it took 7 hours to get through a brew day. My first extract batch probably took close to that. Unless you have someone to learn from, I think it's a really good idea to start with a simpler process.

If he didn't qualify his statement, though, I think he's doing them a disservice.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You're getting angry at someone who might be putting off a new brewer, while in the same post calling them noobs?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
jakwhite
Recipes 

There are 2 shops by me one brilliant well established shop that is certainly a pro gives you very little advice he's very up himself looks down at you alot and he decides if you are worthy of his knowledge!

But what knowledge you get is really good,

The 2nd is run by 2 ex doll dossers that just clearly like to drink, it's a complete DIY shop they pride themselves on different brew tasting a week many of times I've popped in and he's very quick to tell me they finished a barrel off and they are always on cans of carling, but if you can get past the smell of stale/fresh alcohol when your standing 2 ft away they are nice people friendly not up themselves give good snippets of advice but they don't brew from scratch they do ready made packs (as do I at the moment but am going to try in the new year mashing)

I'd rather go the the alcys they are cheaper and don't look down there nose at you where the well established one you feel uncomfortable to walk in there

Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

This can and does happen, probably more than we think. A LHBS near me that has been around for years always has a lady(the owners wife I think) at the counter, and she knows absolutely nothing about home brewing. He is only marginally better because they are wine people and not that interested in beer. I can understand this because if I had a HBS I would focus on beer instead of wine, but I would still take the time to learn about it, and would also make it even if I just gave it away to customers that wondered what a particular wine kit tasted like.

I'm not sure if it's just my area, but most of the HBS around here are very wine oriented, but carry beer items as well. Just don't ask too many beer questions, cause if they can't fascinate you with facts, they'll baffle you with bullsh!t.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I have 2 close to me and have had nothing but good experiences with both. One has only brewing supplies and the other has some decent/good craft beers for sale. I like the one that does only the HB because of the guys that run it and it is a little closer.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Quick Reply