New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anchor responds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Default Anchor responds

http://beernews.org/2011/09/anchor-brewing-issues-public-statement-in-response-to-boston-beer-co-lawsuit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campai gn=Feed%3A+beerpulse+%28Beernews.org+%C2%BB+The+Cr aft+Beer+News+Leader%29

best part:

Quote:
Not surprisingly, Anchor finds it ironic that Boston Beer feels their training is so special and unique. We think they must have short memories of the time they spent here at Anchor gaining first-hand knowledge of how craft beer was working.

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is why I have no desire to "Go Pro". Brewing is no longer fun. It is a business.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Can't read the link at work for some reason, but from what I understand, an employee signed a non-disclosure agreement of some sort, and then after leaving Boston Beer Co., he was hired by Anchor.

From a business standpoint, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this lawsuit. Yes, many can argue that Boston Beer Co. should lighten up and help out fellow brewers for the greater good, or that they're just trying to strong arm everyone thinking they're the know-all be-all of home brewing and have forgotten where they've come from. However, regardless of that, it's actually a very black and white issue. Did the employee sign a non-disclosure agreement while employed at Boston Beer Co.? If yes, then he breached that contract and by law, Boston Beer Co. has every right to sue.

The argument should not be about the lawsuit, it should be about signing non-disclosure agreements to begin with, if you want to argue to principles behind it.

BTW, if this is not even close to what the article is about, please let me know so I can delete this post and stop embarrassing myself. Thanks lol.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
This is why I have no desire to "Go Pro". Brewing is no longer fun. It is a business.
This.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Bru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

US law is clearly different to SA law but how is it possible that Boston can sue Anchor for a contract breached by an employee ? The contract wasn't signed by Anchor.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
US law is clearly different to SA law but how is it possible that Boston can sue Anchor for a contract breached by an employee ? The contract wasn't signed by Anchor.
I can't get into specifics since I'm not a lawyer, but I am familiar with some similar situations in my field. I know they can sue the actual ex-employee... not sure about the specifics about being able to sue Anchor as well, however.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
ajfranke
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
Did the employee sign a non-disclosure agreement while employed at Boston Beer Co.? If yes, then he breached that contract and by law, Boston Beer Co. has every right to sue.

The argument should not be about the lawsuit, it should be about signing non-disclosure agreements to begin with, if you want to argue to principles behind it.
I think it was a non-compete clause, not a non-disclosure clause: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2011/09/27/boston-beer-sues-rival-over-employee.html

According to this article, such clauses are hard to enforce. However, it wouldn't be good for Boston Beer if they didn't try to enforce the contracts that they sign.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3448

And some folks on here are shocked to find out that the craft beer industry can be just as "nasty" and cut throat as the "evil empire" that is BMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
THIS!!! + 1,000

I ruined a vocation (ministry) by "going pro"...I can relate.

Let me see, If I want to brew beer,

1) I can brew what I want, when I want to, and with what ingredients I want to.
2) I can go off script (off recipe) and toss in whatever crap I want to without worrying about sales figures and marketing plans.
3) I can sleep in, get started around 10 am, have the football game on and get totally pi$$ed if I want, and if I forget a hop addition I haven't cost the company several million dollars.
4) I don't have to start at the crack of dawn, wear waders and much out several thousand pounds of stinky grain from yesterdays brew session before I can get started dumping in several thousand pounds of more grain into the tun.
5) I can hang out with a bunch of friends all day in the beautiful outdoors standing around our turkey fryers breathing fresh air instead of being stuck in a hot factory all day (Because a commercial brewery is STILL just a glorified factory.)
6)I don't have to deal with supervisors, pencil necked geeks in accounting, marketing wonks, and anyone else that might annoy me.
7) I get to say proudly that my HOBBY is HOMEBREWING, instead of saying "I work in a brewery, but my hobby/passion is.......(Something other than brewing...)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Based on a little knowledge, if a non-compete goes to court, the employer must prove that the employee has the potential to damage business by working for a "competitor." Based on the last few Sam's I've had, Jim and his boys may want to spend a little more time in Quality Control and less time in court - they're damaging their own brand more than this guy.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Did you notice that the employee is a 25 year old salesman?

Quick Reply