Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > anchor christmas ale 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default anchor christmas ale 2012

Black lager spruce? Their porter is sweeter... this is very dry and clean with a piney bang and not a hoppy pine... I'm thinking spruce.

Love it!~ anybody else have a clue?

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Don't think its a lager- I'd say more along the lines of a strong ale. Seems like Belgian yeast (something like Whitelabs Trappist or Belgian Strong?). The main flavor that comes through other than malt is nutmeg, though I can't tell if the spice comes from the yeast or from actual spice additions.
Dry with a surprisingly clean body (maybe this is where you are getting black lager from?) but it retains a pretty decent mouth-feel.
Bought a couple six pack back in December and loved it. My favorite edition yet (in the three years that I've known about Anchor Christmas ales). Just bought a six pack for a good bit more than I would usually spend on commercial beer, but I haven't seen it anywhere since January and didn't want to miss the chance to save a few for next year.

Would love to know if anyone has been working on a clone...

Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
DarknMalty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just found some holdout 6ers at a gas station. I taste a hint of black licorice with a little spice in the background...maybe nutmeg or similar. I would describe it as a rich fruitcake thing going on in flavor and aroma, with the aroma highlighting the spicyness. Finishes clean like a lager, but absolutely not a lager.

Primary: Mosaic and Honey APA
Secondary:
Kegged: Black IPA
Bottled: Apfelwine

Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I agree DarknMalty. Fruit cake fits it well.
One note- the ones I just picked up have mellowed out a good deal since January, but I'm not sure its as good as it was before. It seems to have lost some spice and even some body

Quick Reply