New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > American Wheat Vs. Hefewiezen Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
IncredibleMulk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default American Wheat Vs. Hefewiezen Taste

I'm brewing an American Wheat this week to enjoy in July and while I have consumed many American Wheat beers and Hefewiezens in my time, when asked what the difference between the two was, I had a hard time answering. I've Googled and read several articles, however most of them tend to focus on the differences between the Hefes and the Witbiers. So I wanted to ask the question here:

What are the (general) taste differences between an American Wheat and a Hefewiezen?

Thanks!

Beer...It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Tap 1: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 2: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 3: Stout Blackula
Tap 4: Lederhosen Dropper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

American style will be much cleaner, lighter and clearer. Most of the flavor profile of the hefeweizen comes the yeast. The banana/clove flavors wont be present in the American style. The weizens will have little hop, and use german malts while the American wheats will use american malts and little more hops which will also affect the flavor.

Just grab a UFO or something along those lines, and then try a Weihenstephan or Paulaner wheat and it'll be real obvious.

They truly are different styles of beers. I hate it when people say they don't like wheat beers, based on only tasting American wheat beers.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
I hate it when people say they don't like wheat beers, based on only tasting American wheat beers.
Ha. I would have said just the opposite. I think the banana / clove in the german version can turn some people off to wheat beers. The wheat mistakenly gets a bad wrap for the flavor produced by the German yeast. At its best, an American wheat is a lot like an APA with the added complexity of wheat graininess. Keeping the gravity and bitterness on the high end can produce a really nice beer. The trouble is that a lot of brew pubs and small breweries use a watered down version of this style to appease American lager drinkers. Don’t fall into that trap.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Hefeweizen
American Wheat

Old 05-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Ha. I would have said just the opposite. I think the banana / clove in the german version can turn some people off to wheat beers. The wheat mistakenly gets a bad wrap for the flavor produced by the German yeast. At its best, an American wheat is a lot like an APA with the added complexity of wheat graininess. Keeping the gravity and bitterness on the high end can produce a really nice beer. The trouble is that a lot of brew pubs and small breweries use a watered down version of this style to appease American lager drinkers. Don’t fall into that trap.
Given the abundance of American style wheats, I think it would be pretty rare for an American to try a bavarian style wheat and to write off wheat beers than the other way around. Most beer stores near me usually only have American wheats. I'd assume if somebody ventured off to buy a hefeweizen, they'd probably know a thing or two about beer understand the differences between that and the american style. Also the pour is very important, and easy to screw up and not get the true flavor profile of the beer.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
IncredibleMulk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the knowledge. Looking forward to my American Wheat! Happy brewing!!

Beer...It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Tap 1: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 2: Fizzy Whiz's Golden Showers
Tap 3: Stout Blackula
Tap 4: Lederhosen Dropper

Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
bosco_NJ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorRobert View Post
I hate it when people say they don't like wheat beers, based on only tasting American wheat beers.
that's my problem. i can't stand american wheats but love me some Hefeweizens & Weizenbocks. i really enjoy the banana & clove, more so the banana.

Primary: Coconut Porter
Secondary: Saison DH w/ Amarillo, English Brown
Bottled & Drinking: Cascadian Dark Ale, Yeti Imp Stout (clone), SimCade IMP IPA, APA, Weizenbock Rye, Oaked Weizenbock Rye, Apfelwein,
On Deck: Hefeweizen, Belgian Dubbel

Quick Reply