Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > American "Pint" vs European PINT!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #31
Sigafoos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay, then stay home and drink homebrew (which is what I do the vast majority of the time anyway). Right now I'd settle for being sure what I was paying for: a pint? (then I'm being ripped off) A glass? (then it's fine, if a bit pricey)

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #32
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I mainly go to places that serve in the breweries' glasses anyway so it doesn't affect me but if other people started doing it then businesses would have no choice, especially in this economy.

murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #33
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

well at my favorite pub, they serve their taps in brewery specific glasses, ie Trumer Pils in a Trumer Pils glass. Surely not a pint, but I like it.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #34
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
I mainly go to places that serve in the breweries' glasses anyway so it doesn't affect me but if other people started doing it then businesses would have no choice, especially in this economy.
If you like the fact that your bar serves beer in the correct glass, I would highly recommend that you don't try to get the government to pass laws about what glasses the bars can use. Believe me, they won't be written from a beer geek's perspective.

I'm not a fan of shaker glasses but I'm a big boy and I am pretty sure I don't want the government any more involved in my beer purchasing than they are now.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #35
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've swiped glasses from a local brewpub because I was pretty sure I was getting under-served. Low and behold, I was! Now...how can I got about telling them this without mentioning that I took one home for a bit of testing? I don't know, but the bottom of the 'pint' glass is so thick that I was pretty sure I was getting screwed!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #36
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
If you like the fact that your bar serves beer in the correct glass, I would highly recommend that you don't try to get the government to pass laws about what glasses the bars can use. Believe me, they won't be written from a beer geek's perspective.

I'm not a fan of shaker glasses but I'm a big boy and I am pretty sure I don't want the government any more involved in my beer purchasing than they are now.
Interesting point, although this seems to be more of a grass roots movement and would rely solely on customers policing their local hangouts.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #37
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
But do you expect every bar in the country to replace every glass they have?
Those are water glasses. They should be used for thier purpose; water and soda. Bars need to invest in beer glasses and not serve beer in water glasses.

When it comes down to it, I don't tell a bar they are serving in the wrong glass. However much I dislike the shaker glass as a beer vessel, it is the defacto here in the US. As long as I can get an unfrozen one, I'm fine.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #38
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Exactly. It sucks, but I'm not expecting anything to get changed in the near future, even if we do call it 'grassroots.'

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #39
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

When paying for beer my new dollar is 90 cents. I don't expect the law to get involved in THAT either!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #40
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

only problem with making the bars pour a real pint is where does it stop? The bars around here either use shot glasses and fill it and still pour some booze into the glass while dumping in the shot or just do a 2,3 or 4 count .So if its regulated you get a a 1 once shot in you drink and do you think the price will go down?. bars don't gouge on booze either they pay a hell of a lot more for beer or booze than we do. They can't just buy it when its on sale at the corner store. Everything has to be bought from a commercial distributor I believe NY has 3 or 4 liquor distributors and then beer is the local distributor that only sells to business's the two big ones around here are Dutchess Beer or Manhatten beer

I was in Australia and every drink is metered out and don't even bother to ask for a double. I think its better to just stop calling them pints . How bout large and small like soda .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Perazziuomo Likes This 

Quick Reply