Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > American "Pint" vs European PINT!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
mackinskor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just ordered 2 - one for me and my brother. Would love to see this thing in action.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflow1983 View Post
I wasn't defending the sleazy underfilled beers. I hate seeing those underfilled small pints every time I'm home in the states, especially when someone hands me one full of what passes for Guiness over there.

Its easier in Europe to get stuff like that standardized. If you passed a law in the states about it being required to have a line on the glass that you fill to, imagine what nutjob is going to start screaming about "big government" taking over their freedom to pour crappy pints.

I hear that.. it would be hard to pass, and then everyone would raise the price of a draft pour, as they would be screaming about having to replace glasses and be going through beer faster.

I am still going to fuss over it though. At least, no one is going to list it as 16oz... if it is a 12oz pour, it should be sold as such.

what a load of crap!
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am still upset by the amount of air in a bag of chips... Once I am done worrying about that, then maybe I'll jump on this bandwagon.

Really though, if you order something, and they don't give it to you, send it back. Ordering 16 oz. or beer is not the same as 12. If you get 12, thats not what you ordered. Seeing as there is already a massive mark up in alcohol at restaurants/bars I feel like they should be a little more honest.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most placed i got to always poor the head off, making sure the glass is filled with beer, not air. One place I frwuent uses a bigger glass for guiness to leave room for the head.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
I hear that.. it would be hard to pass, and then everyone would raise the price of a draft pour, as they would be screaming about having to replace glasses and be going through beer faster.

I am still going to fuss over it though. At least, no one is going to list it as 16oz... if it is a 12oz pour, it should be sold as such.

what a load of crap!
Lots of glasses voluntarily have little lines that mark .25cl, .5l, .33cl etc due to their odd shape. maybe we should throw them on pints that already have printing, logos, etc.

lastly, if you're going to places that use these cheater pints, they're probably not filling them with the greatest beer anyway. I've never been to a decent tavern or brewpub that uses them. Just lame restaurants.
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 12-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrose View Post
lastly, if you're going to places that use these cheater pints, they're probably not filling them with the greatest beer anyway. I've never been to a decent tavern or brewpub that uses them. Just lame restaurants.
Welcome to the dirty south!

The place I go to for beer most of the time has more than 50 beers on tap and is beer focused, though not very beer educated perhaps. Their draft list would include many selections I would call good (had Corsendunk Christmas?, St. Bernardus Christmas? I am looking forward to this among others...)

But they do serve in cheater glasses. And I am pretty sure it is billed as 16oz. And I am going to ask about it.

And we are talking what, $5 to$8 a pint depending?
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've certainly noticed this. Most annoying when you can get a six-pack for less than the price of 2 12 ounce "pints". Even when a pub uses real pint glasses, the head cuts it down far too much.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
gallagherman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I own 4 beautiful 20oz british nonic pint glasses. I like nothing more than pouring a bomber on my homebrew into one of these guys. I feel that a 20oz "pint" is the perfect serving size for a 5%abv ale. 12oz bottles in an american pint glass always end too quickly.

Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

Old 12-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Welcome to the dirty south!

The place I go to for beer most of the time has more than 50 beers on tap and is beer focused, though not very beer educated perhaps. Their draft list would include many selections I would call good (had Corsendunk Christmas?, St. Bernardus Christmas? I am looking forward to this among others...)

But they do serve in cheater glasses. And I am pretty sure it is billed as 16oz. And I am going to ask about it.

And we are talking what, $5 to$8 a pint depending?
OOH Corsendunk Christmas is fantastic!!

This very issue is one of the reasons there is one place, and one place only in Atlanta that i love to have a beer. The Brick Store pub. In all my experiences there, they are very intentional to have the beers not only poured properly, but in the proper glassware.

speaking of which, Chefmike, you should swing down this way one night/weekend soon for a brick store visit.

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 12-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #20
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

What I have noticed is that they just don't say pint anymore in bars. I remember the prices use to be for pints and now they just use 12oz glasses and charge the same price.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Quick Reply