Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > American "Pint" vs European PINT!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #141
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamtwatson View Post
Surely the big thing here is that if you don't know exactly how much you are being served, you can't really control how intoxicated you are. This has to be a good reason for standardizing the size of a "pint". I see lawsuits....
Except the argument "Your honor, it's their fault that I was not MORE drunk because they ripped me off" aint gonna fly as a defense for ANYTHING.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #142
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Surely the big thing here is that if you don't know exactly how much you are being served, you can't really control how intoxicated you are. This has to be a good reason for standardizing the size of a "pint". I see lawsuits....
Oh great, here come the commercials from the Law Offices of Graham T. Watson and Associates. I thought it was getting bad with the mesothelioma, Yaz, and bladder mesh ones.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

naga77777 Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #143
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We small government types hate to hear that story, actually. I can get my favorite bartender to be honest with me without having to make taxpayers pay a man to be the beer police. If you think you're getting chiseled, let the barman know. or the manager. and if you continue to get chiseled, walk.

$0.02, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG680 View Post
In England a Pub can be fined heavily if they do not sever you a perfect pint, and that is in both size and temp. I was at a Pub that an inspector walked in, asked for 3 pints and after they were pored he showed his badge, took the temps of the beers and made sure they were all the correct size. It was awesome to see someone keeping the Pubs honest.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #144
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricShelton View Post
The 14oz/16oz fight is totally legit, and the person who said a "European pint" was 500ml couldn't be more wrong if they tried. That's half a liter, metric, and has absolutely nothing to do with an Imperial measurement such a pint or quart beyond possibly trying to be a marketing technique.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that in four pages nobody managed to research that difference or knew the answer. Hopefully it's been laid to rest somewhere between page 5 of this thread and here, but if not...? There it is.
Alright... here we go (per google conversions):

Code:
Serving      US Ounces     UK Ounces     mL
-------      ---------     ---------     ---
US Pint      16            16.7          473
UK Pint      19.2          20            568
0.5 L        16.9          17.6          500
That's if they're filled to the brim (or marked line) in a standard glass. The half liter is really closer to a US pint than an Imperial pint.

The moral of the story is... drink in German. You'll know what you're actually getting. (At home I'm a fan of the 12 oz pour into a Duvel glass... the liquid comes right up to the top of the lettering).
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #145
grahamtwatson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter

Oh great, here come the commercials from the Law Offices of Graham T. Watson and Associates. I thought it was getting bad with the mesothelioma, Yaz, and bladder mesh ones.
Oh god no, I am *not* a lawyer, do not play one on TV and have no desire to. My take on the law is that it's for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. However, as a frugal Yorkshireman, I do expect to get every drop of the beer I just paid for.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #146
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Oh god no, I am *not* a lawyer, do not play one on TV and have no desire to. My take on the law is that it's for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. However, as a frugal Yorkshireman, I do expect to get every drop of the beer I just paid for.
Well, I'll buy your story for now...but I'VE got my eye on you!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #147
grahamtwatson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter

Well, I'll buy your story for now...but I'VE got my eye on you!!!
Probably a wise move ;-)

Old 09-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #148
PowderHoundMJ
Recipes 

In Denver the 14oz "pint" glasses sprung up about 5 years ago. Almost all of the non-specialty beer joints switched to them. For a few years you even found people labeling them as pints on their menus, but that has disappeared as I bet the office of units and measures called them out on it.

Problem is, taking "pint" off the menu really didn't solve the problem as 98% of people had no clue as to what was going on. In fact I made a habit of playfully asking server how big the glass was. Rarely would I find somebody who actually new how much beer they were serving me. (Obviously the owners wallets knew.)

Old 09-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #149
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

And 1/3lb grass fed burger patties don't weigh that much after they cook 'em!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #150
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarpancake View Post
Does this piss anyone else off as much as it does me? I know we are all home-brewers but still, knowing that all those people out there on any given night are missing a good portion of each brew really bothers me!
So when's your first AA meeting?

Kidding.

I do loves me my imperial pint glasses.

Quick Reply