Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > American "Pint" vs European PINT!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #131
GearJammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been PO'd about this since I moved to the states, after growing up in Canada (where the metric system still gives us bigger beers). One of my first times at a bar in Boston I ordered a "pint" and it came back to me in a 16oz glass with no head. So of course I asked what was up with my small beer; wasn't a pint 20oz? "Not in this country" I'm told. Okay, lesson learned.

I had a renewed interest when I went to a Boulder bar and discovered that they were serving me "pints" in those 14oz glasses. So I looked into buying one of those 'beer gauges' but that won't do anything to help you if they use those glasses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #132
DRdUSTYmUSTARD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
The key is getting businesses to do it voluntarily, and think it's their clever idea or marketing ploy. If a few market leaders pick up honest pint glasses,eventually everybody will, or they'll lose market share.
Good point here...Maybe someone could start a group that would encourage big chains like buffalo wild wings, applebees and chilis to start pouring true pints. they could even use it as a ad campaign to draw in those fellers that like to pay $3.50 for a "pint" of big 3 lite. this would make the smaller guys follow the trend and over time it would hopefully trickle down to all the little bars and pubs across the country...theoretically...

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #133
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think lunarpancake almost got it. "Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #134
metaltim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

for all of you that agree with the 'if the bar advertises 16 oz they should pour 16 oz.'

2 things:
1, if the menu says fat tire, pint, $5, well that's ambiguous. That isn't necessarily 16 oz. of actual beer. It could very well mean, a pint glass full of fat tire, in which case they aren't lying.

2nd. how many times have you been to a bar and outside on the sign it says $3 domestics, $4 imports.
you go inside, get a fat tire, and it's $4.

OH NO. they are lying to me. fat tire isn't an import. This place should be shut down!

As long as it it isn't regulated, they can say whatever they want with no repercussions. Same with liquor. They have wells, calls, premium, top shelf, house, etc.. and there is no cut and dry line that places what liquor in what category. Just like 'imports' and 'domestics' with beer.

Just this weekend, i was at a bar, there were 3 categories (prices) of beers on a typed out list. Domestics, imports, and specialty. most BMC was in domestic, but fat tire and heineken were in specialty, while dogfish head, corona and blue moon were in import

Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #135
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know if this has been posted before (I didn't read the whole thread), but if it hasn't, here it is:

Quote:
The pint is an English unit of volume or capacity in both the imperial system and in United States customary units. The imperial version is 20 imperial fluid ounces and is equivalent to about 568 ml, while the U.S. version is 16 U.S. fluid ounces and is equivalent to about 473 ml. Thus the traditional British pint of beer is approximately 20% larger than the American pint. One imperial pint is equal to 19.2152 US fluid ounces. Pints are commonly abbreviated as either “p” or “pt”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint

Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #136
EricShelton
Recipes 

Hopefully this has been answered by now, but I've read the first four pages of this thread and NOBODY had come up with the correct answer here. There's an awful lot of hand-wringing and frustration but nobody in the first four pages has a clue (no offense, intended). Both the British and the Americans are indeed selling a pint. A true pint, as defined by being 1/8 of a gallon. So why the difference in volume?

Because an Imperial gallon is larger than a US gallon. You figure this out pretty quickly if you ride a European motorcycle and have to figure out why mpg ratings vary so wildly from review to review.

The 14oz/16oz fight is totally legit, and the person who said a "European pint" was 500ml couldn't be more wrong if they tried. That's half a liter, metric, and has absolutely nothing to do with an Imperial measurement such a pint or quart beyond possibly trying to be a marketing technique.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that in four pages nobody managed to research that difference or knew the answer. Hopefully it's been laid to rest somewhere between page 5 of this thread and here, but if not...? There it is.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #137
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricShelton View Post
Hopefully it's been laid to rest somewhere between page 5 of this thread and here
Or, sometime in the last year and a half since anyone posted in this thread

But I'm glad you resurrected it, I found my new favorite quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!
This thing is totally going in my signature, if I can figure out how to get it there...

Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #138
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricShelton View Post
Hopefully this has been answered by now, but I've read the first four pages of this thread and NOBODY had come up with the correct answer here. There's an awful lot of hand-wringing and frustration but nobody in the first four pages has a clue (no offense, intended). Both the British and the Americans are indeed selling a pint. A true pint, as defined by being 1/8 of a gallon. So why the difference in volume?

Because an Imperial gallon is larger than a US gallon. You figure this out pretty quickly if you ride a European motorcycle and have to figure out why mpg ratings vary so wildly from review to review.

The 14oz/16oz fight is totally legit, and the person who said a "European pint" was 500ml couldn't be more wrong if they tried. That's half a liter, metric, and has absolutely nothing to do with an Imperial measurement such a pint or quart beyond possibly trying to be a marketing technique.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that in four pages nobody managed to research that difference or knew the answer. Hopefully it's been laid to rest somewhere between page 5 of this thread and here, but if not...? There it is.
I'm guessing you didn't read the OP properly. It's not about the volume of a US pint V Imperial, it's about allowing extra space in the glass for the head.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #139
blacksailj
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarpancake

Seriously.....what is happening is nothing short of robbery. Or American lazyness.

If we were being ripped off at the gas pump by being short-pumped people would be freakin' FURIOUS.
Well said...X2

Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #140
grahamtwatson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Surely the big thing here is that if you don't know exactly how much you are being served, you can't really control how intoxicated you are. This has to be a good reason for standardizing the size of a "pint". I see lawsuits....

Quick Reply