Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > American "Pint" vs European PINT!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #121
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

The bar downtown serves bottles mostly, and I'm glad to get a room temp glass to pour it in. They also have 1 tap of sometimes decent beer (I've seen some good Bells) and they serve in the same small glasses. I'm getting ripped off because I'll be lucky to fit the bottle of beer in the glass with no foam, and when they pour off the tap, you KNOW there is some foam in the glass!

But I also know the owner, and trust me if there is a way to make a few more cents, he's doing it! But he doesn't care much for good beer. Most people around here drink BMC only. I only go when I'm curious to try a good beer on tap (if they have it) and because I sometimes get a freebie for working on their computers.

I'll be keeping my eyes on the restaurants' glasses from now on though. This is surely a way to prove to my wife that there is another whole level of beer snobbery that I can attain.

Homer's Brew Log

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #122
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Since we don't have a standarized, monitored system of draft delivery, the size of the glass is pretty irrelevant. How do you know what is too much to charge?
The only qualm a person could possibly have is an advertised pint not actually being a pint. Since we do not use glasses that have lines and use the same 14 or 16 oz mixing glass then a glass or a pint of beer in the US includes the head. Going abroad and finding it done diffrerently does not mean we are getting ripped off when it says a pint on the menu and they bring you a 16oz glass.
So many of you pay $7 for a glass of beer and its the glass that pisses you off? Does that mean as long as they give you 16oz of beer they can charge whatever they want and that's ok? Because thats the way its sounding.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #123
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
I want to know who pays $7.00 for a pint for beer!! Even at an expensive place $5.00 is the most I've seen.
Me... Where i usually go for a beer, 5 bucks is cheap. some drafts go up to $11, and bottles that can get above $30. But they do have the greatest beer selection i've ever seen, paired with a knowledgeable staff and all the proper glassware, so to me, its worth it.

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #124
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I've never seen a bar advertise "16 ounces of beer".

Here is what you see at a coffee house:

Latte
8 oz 2.50
12 oz 3.00
16 0z 4.00

Here is what you see at a bar.

Beer
16 oz 4
20 oz 5

In both cases what the volume is referring to (container volume or actual liquid fill level) is not explicit and normal people just buy what they want and go on with their day.
That's a pretty weak argument. "Yeah, it's wrong but no one cares." First time I've heard that one. Bottom line: if businesses are shorting customers it's wrong and needs to stop.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #125
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Since we don't have a standardized, monitored system of draft delivery, the size of the glass is pretty irrelevant. How do you know what is too much to charge?
The only qualm a person could possibly have is an advertised pint not actually being a pint. Since we do not use glasses that have lines and use the same 14 or 16 oz mixing glass then a glass or a pint of beer in the US includes the head. Going abroad and finding it done differently does not mean we are getting ripped off when it says a pint on the menu and they bring you a 16oz glass.
So many of you pay $7 for a glass of beer and its the glass that pisses you off? Does that mean as long as they give you 16oz of beer they can charge whatever they want and that's ok? Because that's the way its sounding.
The brewpub I go to has 20 oz glasses so they can give you a full pint when you order it. This is in the U.S.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #126
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
That's a pretty weak argument. "Yeah, it's wrong but no one cares." First time I've heard that one. Bottom line: if businesses are shorting customers it's wrong and needs to stop.

If they advertise a pint then I would agree but most places say Draft no mention of what size other than regular or large or the type of glass. Just because we assume they mean pint does not make it so.So how is that shorting the customer ?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #127
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
If they advertise a pint then I would agree but most places say Draft no mention of what size other than regular or large or the type of glass. Just because we assume they mean pint does not make it so.So how is that shorting the customer ?
Once again: I'm referring to advertising that states the size.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #128
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
The brewpub I go to has 20 oz glasses so they can give you a full pint when you order it. This is in the U.S.
Of course there are places that do this.
What do they charge for a 20oz glass of somthing like SNPA?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #129
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
What do they charge for a 20oz glass of somthing like SNPA?
My place the SNPA is $4.75 for a 20oz. Unless it is either the featured brewery of the month or one of the daily specials, then it is $3 for a 20 oz.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #130
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
What do they charge for a 20oz glass of something like SNPA?
$4.50

I'm part of the mug club (one time $25 payment) So I get a 25 oz mug for the same price.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply