Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > American hops for a friend in Argentina

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
gan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default American hops for a friend in Argentina

Hi all,

I have a homebrewer friend in Argentina who I'd like to surprise with some American hops they might not be able to get easily down there. I'm a new brewer and am not familiar with any hops from that region, nor am I really familiar with typical brew styles there either. Does anyone have any good recommendations as far as good hops to send to him would go? I imagine they brew mostly lighter ales and lagers, so perhaps a strong American hop that goes well with a lighter, lager-like beer? I'd ask him directly but prefer the element of surprise.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

South America's beer selection in general is almost exclusively Brazilian-made light lagers similar to bud, miller, coors, etc. Craft beer anywhere south of Texas in the western hemisphere is near non-existent.

Time to have some fun

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

They are dominated my light lagers just like we are. They have the occasional amber lager, dark lager and blonde.

However there are some craft breweries who make some great beer that is quite unlike Quilmes. Otro Mundo and Cerveceria Austral make some pale ales and other english styles. I never found anything down there to be much like an american craft beer.

I'd send him some cascades, amarillo, centennial and simcoe and blow his mind.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM View Post
Craft beer anywhere south of Texas in the western hemisphere is near non-existent.
This isn't true, you just have to look a little harder. I've had several craft beers in Buenos Aires, Santiago and in Patagonia.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
gan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks! Those are good ideas; I was thinking about Citra or Centennial as well. Really just wanted to make sure they don't typically get anything like our American hops down there. Thinking about a half lb of Centennial and a half lb of Cascade with a few ounces of something stronger, ie. Simcoe, Columbus. I especially like the idea of Cascade as I know Argentina has their own very different version of Cascade.

Cheers!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
diegobonatto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM View Post
South America's beer selection in general is almost exclusively Brazilian-made light lagers similar to bud, miller, coors, etc. Craft beer anywhere south of Texas in the western hemisphere is near non-existent.
I don't agree. Brazil have a nicely growing craft beer scene, with lots of homebrew associations and clubs....

Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I agree they do have a fast growing scene. Craft beer has roughly a 4-5% US marketshare. In South America it is a small fraction of that. That's why I said *nearly* non existent. No disrespect, it's just tiny, they'll grow with time I'm sure.

Time to have some fun

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think I would stick with the big American "C" hops. Might be extreme as far as bittering a lager but I think having a citrusy nose to a lager would be interesting. I had a Three Floyd's Irish Red over the weekend and it had amazing hop aroma and flavor, not tremendously typically for that style, but great! The same could, would, and should go for a uniquely crafted lager.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I remember having a awesome sweet stout in El Calafate. Though they are ruled my light lagers, I am sure a home brewer would be like us and love flavorful beer. I am sure that is what people say about the us and what we brew. Send him some Simcoe, Cent., Chinook stuff like this.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
bronzdragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
I'd send him some cascades, amarillo, centennial and simcoe and blow his mind.
+1

~rc~

Quick Reply