Amazing Discovery!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
I have been out of home brewing for 12 years. (long story, but chalk it up to having a baby/teenager now) anyhoo. I began my "career" in 1985 and know every single page of Papazian. but check this out... I last brewed in 1998. I made a Cherry Ale and an American Lager. Killed the Ale in weeks and apparently never tried the Lager. Well today I was under my stair case and I found my Co2 which I need to force Carb my ESB that I brewed two weeks ago, but right next to it was a Corney. When I grabbed it, I was shocked it was full..WTF.. My first thought was Iodophor solution. So I went to open it and checked the relief valve, Holy Sh#t...it was pressurized...so I opened it and I was absolutely floored when I smelled a nice lager aroma. So I closed it and put some gas on it and got my tap and poured a glass.. OMG..decent American Lager from 1998.. Is this possible??? its cloudy but can this be real??

That is very interesting. What a neat find. I'd be interested in hearing more about the experience of the beer in terms of aroma, flavor, etc.

Heck, it looks like you're in Chino Hills, maybe I can see for myself :)

its cloudy but can this be real??

The cloudyness could just be yeast sediment being kicked up when you moved it, I would get it in the fridge for a few days and try again. If it taste good drink up! :mug:

How can people forget about such things ? I had an uncle store a CAR at some dude's place when moving to Ontario for a job promotion. 15 years later, the guy calls and says: "So, I'm moving, when are you getting your car out of my barn?" He had completly forgotten he had left it there. Or that he actually owned a second car. For more than a decade.

I get all excited when I find 10$ that I had forgotten in my winter jacket from one year to the next. I bet you have the same feeling at the tenth power.

Well that sure doesn't happen every day. Congratz on the discovery of that treasure! I'd have to bury beer in a timelock safe before I could let it sit that long :)

It's not so hard once you have a full pipeline.

I have had a keg, i keep in a spare shower, for nearly a year now. Just makes you ponder if it's time to step up to wild ales.

I have a few bottles of oatmeal stout that are 10 years old and they taste like CRAP. Not good crap either ..

Im going to go ahead and filter it.. Its a little boring, almost flavorless. But isnt lite american lager like that??LOL.. I may try to liven it up somehow, just not sure what to do. (maybe some lime essence or lemon or something like that, any ideas??) You know theres never a good reason to throw away alcohol.. LOL

Back