Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Am I the only person on this forum who likes beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
brian_g
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Am I the only person on this forum who likes beer?

Do any of you guys like beer? I'm not asking if you like IPAs or Stouts. I said beer. It just seems that most people will say they like beer, but when you talk to them further they really only like a few different kinds of beer. Not only do I see people on this forum bashing the american light beers, but also the premium mass produced beer (Blue Moon, Amber Bock, Killian's, etc). Then there seems to be homebrewer's who have a very narrow style of beer that they like (IPAs, Stouts, etc.) It seems to me a little misleading to say you like beer, when really you can't stand 99% of the beer produced. It would be more correct to say you don't like beer or more better, that you don't like most beer, but there are certain kinds you like. Imagine if someone said they liked pie, but didn't like cherry, banna cream, coconut cream, strawberry, blueberry, punkin, or peanut butter. You then ask what kind of pie do you like? And they say that the like Apple pie, but only the way Grandma makes it. If that's the only pie you like, I wouldn't say you like pie, I'd say you like apple pie when Grandma makes it.

The funny thing is that it's not just people who like the craft beers, who are picky, but even the light beer drinkers. I spoke with someone a couple of nights ago that liked Coors light, but not Miller lite. As if it makes a huge difference.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like beer. I can't think of a beer I wont drink. If I'm at someone's house and they offer me a Miller lite, I'll drink it and like it. I like Miller lite less then some of the more specialty beers, but I can enjoy drinking one. My favorite part about drinking Miller Lite is that since I never buy it, if I'm drinking one it's free.

There are also the mass produced premium beers (Killian's, Amber Bock, Blue Moon.) This I enjoy a lot, and I'll even spend money to buy them.

There are some more specialty and mircro brews that I like as well: Three Philosophers, Magic Hat #9, Fransacaner, Chimay, Two Hearted IPA, DogFish head.

I like many different styles of beer: stouts, IPAs, Weizen, Bock, Porter, Pilsner, etc. I can't think of a style or class of beer I don't like.

I don't think my love for beer makes me undiscerning. I still think that some beers are better then other. Depending on my mood I may prefer one style of beer over another.

How about you? Do you like beer?

I posted this on my blog as well, feel free to comment either on the forum or on the blog:
Home Brew and Wine: Do you like beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Interesting, not really sure what to say here. I like beer.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
willangus
Recipes 

I also enjoy beer.

Up next: 'Ginger Nut' Ginger spiced Pale Ale

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8i5k4I1AOEI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8i5k4I1AOEI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nope. Beer sucks.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 06-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So, by this reasoning, if don't like McDonald's it means I don't like cheeseburgers.

Damn, I thought I liked cheeseburgers...

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I think you are the only one. I suppose that you are special.

Gary

Old 06-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Well I seriously doubt that you like every single beer out there available. Buy a 6 pack of Blatz and Honestly tell me you LIKE it. Willing to drink it to get drunk does not = Liking it.

Most people on here like the craft of brewing and are willing to try any beer presented. Just because we don't like a particular style or beer doesn't mean we don't like "beer". I may not Choose to drink a particular beer, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the brewer's skill and devotion.

Liking Beer is more than just drinking beer. There's more to beer than taste. There's history, there is science, there is uniquness.

So saying I don't like beer in general because I wouldn't choke down a Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat to save my dogs life, is just not a true statement.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Um...yeah.....Uh....Right.....

Most wheats make me nauseous (though a pound in a grainbill doesn't affect me, only majority wheat beers)....I do not like Budwieser and most other majority RICE adjuncted lagers, but I do like SOME corn adjuncted or mixed rice and corn commercial lagers such as LLabats, PBR, Schlit's original recipe, Stroh's.

And I have grown to appreciate darker lagers, Vienna and Maibocks especially, but my preference is ales of all types, stouts, IPA's, belgians, cream ales, porters, pumpkins...yadda yadda yaddda.....so I guess I like beer...

WHat's the question???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If it's an undying devotion to every type and style of beer, then no, I guess I don't like beer.

I can't stand mass produced American Lager's anymore. It's seriously a flavor issue with me.

I'm not big on sour beers.

I will politely refuse a beer I don't care for if offered. If that makes me rude or snobby, what can I do?

So no, I don't LIKE beer.

(I LOVE BEER )

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply