The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Am I the only one?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Gridlocked
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Am I the only one?

...who doesn't really like the taste of my beers before they are carbonated?

For my first three or four batches, and a few now and then I have tasted samples of my beer after fermentation was completed - usually when I am packaging. Each time I have not enjoyed the taste at all. It hasn't really tasted like beer. And, not that it matters but it's given me the runs just about every time.

After they have had a week or two to carbonate (bottle or force carb) they have been really good, but until then - not really a fan.
No, they have not tasted bad because they were bad beers. I know it's going to change and understand all that, but after carbonated = like / before carbonated = do not like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I drink my hydro samples all the time and find it different than when they are carbonated, but that is to be expected.

I love the taste of my beer before I package it.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I like the taste of my wort/beer in all stages. From the sickly sweet wort after chilling to the precarbed beer.

Until proven otherwise, I'd say you're the only one!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I only really sample post-fermentation. There is certainly a difference, but I wouldn't say they suck and then magically taste good after carbonating. Maybe you just don't have the taste for non-carbonated beer.

Have you ever tried real ale? I'd be interested in what you think of beers served from a hand pump.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Gridlocked
Recipes 

HA! I think you nailed it, Airborneguy. For me, it's like the flavor ferry whips out her magic wand and does something magical to the beer after I package it. I bet the beer ferry is crazy hot.

No, I've never tried real ale. I don't think I've even heard of it. Beers served from a hand pump?! Explain please.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Real Ale is naturally carbonated beer served without the use of added CO2 pressure. Technically, bottle conditioned beer is also real ale. But I was referring to beers served from a hand pump, which uses the pump to bring the beer up from the firkin (keg). This beer usually has very low levels of carbonation and is served at cellar temps, that's why I was wondering if you would had ever tried it.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Interesting! I'd like to try some. Maybe google will tell me somewhere to try this in MN. I don't really need the beer to be super carbonated. I enjoy my perfectly carb'd imperial stouts and porters...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I enjoy the hydro samples.....what I don't like (and this may sound strange because I do like the hydro samples) is the flavor of the beer after bottling up until around four weeks in the bottle. It tastes very green and it makes me more nervous than anything when I drink it. But I usually find that after four weeks in the bottle and then a few days in the fridge, most of the beers I've made have come into their own.

There is something to be said for patience in this hobby.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
SkiSoloII
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I taste the beer at all levels. Wort, fermented after primary, fermented after seconday (at bottling) - if I secondary, and usually at a couple of days after bottling. Then, I tend to understand all of the steps the beer goes through, and how it develops. I enjoy it at all of these steps - sweet wort!

Of course, I also drink it once fully conditioned. I DO like that best.

Dave

Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
stp
Recipes 

I've noticed this too. I'm on my fourth brew and have been tasting my samples at all stages. My first was a wheat but I didn't really care for the taste of the wort. I love wheat beers and the wort gave me no indication that the beer would taste like a wheat. An soon as it was 1 week in the bottle it already tasted so much better. 4 weeks in the bottle and it's almost gone. If it tasted anything like the wort it would all still be left. Second was a cream ale and the same happened. Third is in a secondary and is an english brown. These samples taste awesome the whole way through which gets me worried, lol. It will either be really really good or just the opposite!

Quick Reply